1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Winmodem Drivers Removal

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by pipercub, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pipercub

pipercub Thread Starter

Hi,
    When I go into system my computer says I have a HSFMODEMWDM and when I click on it it says I have a PCI Generic modem. I also have a USRobotics modem which is the one I want installed and to be able to use. How do I get rid of the generic one and any other winmodem drivers I may have acquired? By the way I have ME.

Thanks

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Check Add/Remove programs for modem drivers....You may see the USR modem program listed, if you have any way to replace those drivers, you can remove the drivers and reinstall them. Uninstall any others....usually, you have to uninstall the Modem Enumerator as well, sometimes before you uninstall the main modem entry in Device Manager. For some, just clicking remove on the unwanted modem entry in Device manager removes the Wave Device for Voice Modem entry under Sound, Video, Game controllers....some you go and remove manually, I know it's weird. The best thing for you to do is remove ALL instances of modems, Wave Devices, from SAFE MODE.....to get into safe mode, press and hold the CTRL or F8 key at startup....you see a menu with SAFE MODE listed, select that....it is just a diagnostic mode that looks like regular desktop, but less drivers, 16 color video....it says safe mode in all 4 corners....do the removals from there, when you reboot, it will go to regular Windows and redetect the PCI Communications Device (your modem) have the driver install disk or driver location folder ready....set it to the location on disk or folder on drive C: to look for the drivers for your version of Windows. Some driver install disks are .exe files, that YOU have to execute or expand....they install like any program, to a folder on C: THEN the hardware detection will find the correct drivers....some installs dont do it this way, again, it's just a matter of try and see. HINT: you can browse the CD for the modem, find a readme.txt file or guide, if you see any setup.exe file, that must be clicked on to install the drivers.
    There are sometimes two or three "parts" to the hardware install for these modems....A Wave Device for Voice Modem if you have that type, the modem itself, and a modem enumerator or possibly Serial Device for Modem....they are supposed to run along one after the other when system "finds" the driver set.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice