1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Winodws Mail: How Can I Wipe Groups?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by chasfh, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chasfh

chasfh Thread Starter

In Outlook Express, I used to be able to wipe out groups when they got to be too large, by going into the appropriate folder and using a wipe utility so I could start over.

I haven't figured out how to do that in Windows Mail. I go to wipe the groups in its folder, but when I go to the group in Windows Mail, all the messages are still there. Some of my groups have 50,000 messages or more there and I can't effectively navigate through them.

I even tried wiping out the account files but they just rebuild themselves when I open up Windows Mail, and there are all those damn headers and messages still in there. It's up over a gig and it's just too large.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi chasfh

When you say Groups are you referring to the Folders containing your messages?
    I ask since the only Groups I am aware of in Outlook Express are the Groups one can create in the Address Book.

This utility will compact and repair the Windows Mail database:
    http://www.oehelp.com/WMUtil/Default.aspx

Let us know if that works for you or not.

3. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

There is an automatic compact option in Windows mail. It sits in Tools/Options/Advanced/Maintenance. You can elect how often, or rather, after how many runs, you wish this to be done. There is also a purge facility in the same section. But you van highlight and delete any files you wish - is this what you want to do? After you have deleted them, there is a further option to empty the "deleted items" folder under "Edit", the same as in XP.

4. chasfh

chasfh Thread Starter

It occurs to me that nowhere in my message do I specify "newsgroups". These are the folders I want to wipe out, not mail messages. Is this something that can be done effectively in Windows Mail? It was easy to find the folders in Outlook Express. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!