1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinPatrol? (Moved from the Windows 8 forum)

Discussion in 'General Security' started by JanicePh, Feb 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JanicePh

JanicePh Thread Starter

This may be the wrong place to ask this. I apologize before hand. Does anyone know anything about WinPatrol? It was suggested to me to use by a Microsoft Tech and I downloaded it, but I'm not sure when I bootup computer and sign in, there is a drop down menu. Im not sure I understand it. Can someone advise? Thanks.

2. hewee

hewee

It's a great program to have and I have used it from the Windows 95 days.

But I do not understand the drop down menu your talking about.
    Can you post a screen shot of it?

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

WinPatrol is old. I have encountered software that continues to run despite disabling in WinPatrol. Don't remember specifically what it was.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I won't run my computer without WinPatrol
    The tabs and lists are a quick/easy way to see what's going on in your computer.
    Of primary interest to me is that I don't have a bunch of startups that are NOT needed and slowing my computer.
    If Something (usually adobe) tries to add a bunch of startups ...
    WinPatrol will bark at me and ask my permission ... I Say NO
    I also do not allow any scheduled tasks to be added.
    If a scheduled task does get added .... See the remove button at the bottom ????

Attached Files:

• 11.gif
      11.gif
      File size:
      58.7 KB
      Views:
    • 22.gif
      22.gif
      File size:
      47.9 KB
      Views:
  5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    WinPatrol is Freeware but there are some advantages to have the Plus version ... (I got mine where there was a 99 cent sale)
    You can ask for "Plus Info" on some items.
    WinPartol has a new owner .. I'm waiting to see if there's any changes.

Attached Files:

• 33.gif
      33.gif
      File size:
      91.4 KB
      Views:
    • 44.gif
      44.gif
      File size:
      177.8 KB
      Views:
  6. hewee

hewee

I will not go without WinPatrol Plus. I got first one from Bill who gave it to me in a contest at Calendar of Updates and then when he had the $0.99 cent sale I got two more as a way to say thanks. Even got a WinPatrol shirt from Bill for helping out.

Anyhow I have not had any trouble. You may want to go to the options tab and click on the Maintenance and Reset Tools button. Then do some clean up by checking some boxes.

Noyb,
    New owner is working on WinPrivacy. http://winprivacy.com/

7. JanicePh

JanicePh Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for input.

8. hewee

hewee

You're welcome.

You got the HELP button in the top corner that will take you to info for that tap.
    You can get to the same info from this page.
    WinPatrol Updated Help Online

9. JanicePh

JanicePh Thread Starter

This helps me a lot. :) Thank you. Just by chance and I can post anew, but someone mentioned WinPatrol is old. Is there a newer program? Just wondering is all. Thanks again.

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    You can ask anytime .. this is your thread
    Nothing that I know of like WinPatrol ... It's updated regularly .. It's been around awhile ... I wouldn't call it old

11. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I have used WinPatrol since the Win 98se days - it gets my vote.
    (y)

12. hewee

hewee

When I first got WinPatrol it was the Number 1 program to have to Alert you. It was installed but just sat there by the clock doing nothing or I thought that. It just did not have anything to alert me about because I did a good job on my own to help protect things.
    But years later I keep getting an alert my hosts file was changing. Too a little time to find out this other scanner for malware I thought keep finding something was not finding anything but was deleting bad sites I was blocking from my hosts file. So I would keep finding this doing a scan after I update my hosts file.

Sorry I forget the scanner program name but think it was when we had WinPatrol 10 or around that time.

Edit: It was cwshredder and that program we don't even use today. It was only sites from hosts file so never really found anything bad on my computer.
    That was 10 years ago.
    http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?showtopic=2299&page=3

It's a program worth having and even worth getting the Plus version.

We got new owner now so lets hope he has great one day deals so you can buy it cheap. But at what every price your get free updates for life so still a great deal. It's a must-have program and your see that all over the web.

13. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Autoruns basically does the same thing without adding another running process in the background. No installation required (that's a plus for those not wanting additional clutter in their system). Main difference is that it's not automated.

14. hewee

hewee

But you need to know more in what to do to use it

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142459

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice