1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinRAR

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by owenb1, Oct 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. owenb1

owenb1 Thread Starter

Has anybody used WinRar?

If somebody has downloaded a file compressed using this is it best to use it when unzipping the file again?

2. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

i like it. only down fall is

that it is not free.
    alomost worth the money though and if you play games you need it to install mods

3. mobo

mobo

Its all I use and it works greeeeeat.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you don't need the fancy features, there's a free ZIP/RAR tool available, IZArc, second one on the page.

5. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

I use ZipGenius , also free. A nice complete suite of handy tools.

Also creates 7-zip's, a very nice new compression.

6. JohnWill

I have to wonder why you'd want to create files with a new incompatible compression scheme, unless there's some real benefit offered. :rolleyes: RAR offers recovery records which make transmission of large files more practical, what does 7-ZIP do for you?

7. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Hey John,

For archiving my own personal stuff. 7-zip compresses considerably more than standard Zip and slightly more than RAR.

And ZipGenius (which I use) will decompress anything but cannot create RAR's (seems most freeware zippers won't).

Plus 7-zip is free software distributed under the GNU LGPL. I think you will see 7-zip support added to most zipper apps soon. So I now have maximum compression in a free format.

8. JohnWill

I guess I don't see the point, but then that's not necessary. :)

9. bozz

bozz

I gotta agree with MysticEyes on this one. 7z is pretty nice. I picked up on this one in the Firebird forums. A nightly build as .zip, for example, is 6.08 MB. The same file created with 7z, as an auto extracting file, is 4.47MB. I would be even smaller as a standard .7z file.

Your not just limited to 7z types only. It also has support for eleven other formats, zip and rar included.

I would really recommend checking it out. Now....don't 'can' it after three minutes like I did the first time. After seeing it mentioned in other forums, I installed it again, but took my time to get used to it and to see what it can do.

BTW....I'm not spamming it, but it is a good program. :)

http://www.7-zip.org/7z.html

10. JohnWill

It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. :D

11. bozz

bozz

LOL....Here Spot....Go Get It Boy.....hahahaha

:p

12. JohnWill

Well, I did a test with 7-Z, now I know what I don't like about it! I compressed a 642mb file with WinZip and 7-Z, using the maximum compression. It took 22 minutes with 7-Z and two minutes with WinZip! The difference in size? 606mb vs 610mb.

OK you say, that wasn't a fair test, it probably wasn't compressible, maybe true since it was an ISO file.

I compressed a much smaller directory, and the 10:1 time ratio was still there, and I threw in RAR as well. The uncompressed directory was 25.6mb.

7-Z - 1:13 - 4.14mb
    ZIP - 0:05 - 6.46mb
    RAR - 0:22 - 4.68mb

It certainly beat out ZIP in compression, but I think I'll stick with RAR giving up 10% storage for 3x improvement in compression speed. After all, my last 160gig Maxtor cost me $79 after rebate... :D

13. bozz

bozz

Okay....call me 'flip flop'. I tried 7z with a 28MB file and I actually canceled the process because it was was taking so long....about five minutes.

I thought I had done a fair comparison, but I guess not....considering the time compressing and difference in the file size results.

Thanks "old dog". Looks like RAR beats 'em cold.

<Bows head to the Master here>

14. JohnWill

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173520

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice