1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WINS issue with XP and 2003 server

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by korgul, Feb 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. korgul

korgul Thread Starter

A friend of mine is having an issue with his home network. I told him I would post the problem here to see if anyone might know the answer.

HOW, can my 2003 wins server think there is another server on the network IF that other machine is a Windows XP Pro machine WITHOUT the server service running?????

it keeps forcing an election and WINS is hosed on my network.... because the XP pro machine IS NOT a BDC, a Wins server (or a server period) or a DNS server....

2. Rockn

Rockn

Is the XP Pro PC set to be a member of the DOMAIN along with an AD account for the computer? If it's not whenever the WINS server looses connection it will force the XP to become the master browser. You don't really need WINS on a Win2X server AD and DNS handles all name resolution and if it is set up correctly it works very well.

3. korgul

korgul Thread Starter

Thanks I will pass the info along and let you know how it worked out.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/203484