1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Winsock corrupted at start-up

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Flavius, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Flavius

Flavius Thread Starter

I just installed windows xp sp 2 on a new clean computer and I can't connect to the internet. I'm connecte through a Lan and I have my own IP. I can ping others on the network.

The thing is, I usually delete the winsock and winsock2 keys from the registry, reboot, reinstall TCP/IP and then everything works. BUT, as soon as I reboot the pc again. I have to do it all over again or I can't connect to the internet. My computer is clean so I don't know what coul be corrupting winsock. I've tried downloading the newest drivers too. Nothing.

Oh, and I can add that reseting TCP/IP or Winsock doesn't do much. I have to delete the keys and re-install TCP/IP. I've been told that those automatic fixes do exaclty the same thing but they don't help either. Maybe it could be because those fixes usually require a reboot after they are run but that reboot usually messes things up for me.

Any clues how to solve this? I've tried everything!

2. onsite

onsite

3. Flavius

Flavius Thread Starter

Doesn't work!
    Actually...the steps I described above is what that program does. The only difference is the program makes me reboot the machine. Nad that's when it gets messed up again!

4. onsite

onsite

5. Flavius

Flavius Thread Starter

When I reset TCP/IP and Winsock, that solves the problem. But as soon as I restart the computer, it's back from square one and I have to reset it all over again or else it doesn't work =/

6. onsite

onsite

virus ? trogan ? spyware?

7. Flavius

Flavius Thread Starter

well, my computer is as good as new so i don't think so. I have an updated norton antivirus 2006 and ad-aware. can't find anything =/

8. onsite

onsite

LOL how new your computer is has very little to do with it.
    Proffesionally it can take up to 3-4 different virus scanners , 3-4 or more spyware scanners and maybe 1-2 trojan removers to get eveything. depending how infected, sometimes it is not quantity but quallity, just that one right one.

9. Flavius

Flavius Thread Starter

yeah i know, i meant that don't have any installed programs on it and it's been on the internet for 2 days. I assumed that a computer which has been running for 3 years has a greater chance of being infected with something. So what do you think I should do? Do you recommend any virus/trojans scanners?

10. onsite

onsite

The pc is only 3 days old OR you just installed the OS 3 days ago. If it is just the 3 day one, first try either doing a system restore, or turning off system restore. sounds like system restore might be trying to reinstall the corrupt registry. Having said that I would just redo the OS. I would use the automated tools for winsock repair in future repairs.

11. Flavius

Flavius Thread Starter

Well, i think the network adapter had a fault or something. I just installed a new one which is working without any problems.

12. onsite

onsite

lOOKS LIKE YOU FIXED IT(y)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488153

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice