1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Winsock corruption at start-up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Flavius, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Flavius

Flavius Thread Starter

I just installed windows xp sp 2 on a new clean computer and I can't connect to the internet. I'm connecte through a Lan and I have my own IP. I can ping others on the network.

The thing is, I usually delete the winsock and winsock2 keys from the registry, reboot, reinstall TCP/IP and then everything works. BUT, as soon as I reboot the pc again. I have to do it all over again or I can't connect to the internet. My computer is clean so I don't know what coul be corrupting winsock. I've tried downloading the newest drivers too. Nothing.

Oh, and I can add that reseting TCP/IP or Winsock doesn't do much. I have to delete the keys and re-install TCP/IP. I've been told that those automatic fixes do exaclty the same thing but they don't help either. Maybe it could be because those fixes usually require a reboot after they are run but that reboot usually messes things up for me.

Any clues how to solve this? I've tried everything!

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Try this:

Reset Windows XP TCP/IP

Go to Start, Run Type in the Open box CMD – this will open Command Prompt box (Black)

At the C:\ prompt type the line below:

netsh winsock reset

3. Flavius

Flavius Thread Starter

I've tried that. I've tried resetting TCP/IP...doesn't help at all! =/

4. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

5. Flavius

Flavius Thread Starter

Well, that XP fix does the same thing I describe above which I did manually. And that works, but as soon as I restart the computer, it get's messed up again

6. TerryFox

TerryFox

Let me ask you , did you make a backup of these registry keys that you so call deleted ? If not ? Then thats what usually happens when you mess with the registry , Have you try a system restore to a time before you deleted these reg keys ? That just might do it , if not ? Then your probably going to either do a repair install or clean ....

BTW You might want to check your net adapter

7. Flavius

Flavius Thread Starter

Yeah, i backed them up. The thing is, the connection didn't work from the start. When I installed windows that is. I really don't know how it could have happened but when I installed windows, I set the Lan-settings up and tried to connect, but nothing. WHen I tried to delete the keys and reinstall TCP/IP, everything worked. But then I shut down my computer and when I restarted it, it got corrupt again

8. TerryFox

TerryFox

Well if you know what you are doing ? Then I would try to use your internet adapter on a different computer and see if you are having problems with that computer as well , sound like a hardware problem

9. Flavius

Flavius Thread Starter

The thing is, it's embedded into the motherboard. Not much I can do about it =/ I guess I could try installing a new adapter and see if that one has the same problem.

10. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

11. Flavius

Flavius Thread Starter

Well, I think the problem was with the network adapter. I just installed a new one and it seems to be working perfectly!

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488154

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice