1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

winsock error 10055

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by dukie, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dukie

dukie Thread Starter

Dell Dimension XPS R400 95b, 128mb, 14.4Gig drive, fully patched (Y2K, DUN 1.3, Winsock2, etc.)

Bear with me. I want you to have all the data.

Winsock.dll in windows (21k) date stamp 3/28/1998;

In Win\system: 1) wsock.vxd 16k 4.10.1656 3/28/98
    2) wsock2.vxd 23k 4.10.1656 3/28/98
    3) wsock32.dll 21k 4.10.1656 3/28/98
    4) wsock32n.dll 26k 9/18/97 "File version 5.1.0.2 Hummingbird socks V4 winsock stub" (??? :)

This is a DSL and compuserve classic issue (software WinCim v2.61 16 bit). I want to get Compuserve to jump on my DSL rather than having continuing to use dialup. To do that you disable compuserve's direct modem dialer and use winsock instead. There are no other winsocks on the box.

When I try to log on I get an immediate "Winsock Error 10055". Microsoft says that means "WSAENOBUFS (10055)
    " No Buffer Space Available -- A socket operation could not be performed
    because the system ran out of buffer space or the queue was full."

Typically I use 40% of my memory. 128mb was a bunch of memory then .

I've been trying to fix the problem for about 3 weeks in the WUGNET forum in CServe . They've been great as always, but couldn't solve it, and it seems everybody gets CServe to use their DSL but me.

What's funny is it works seamlessly on my new I8500 XP Pro notebook.

I hope someone is familiar with this. Searched the forum - bunch of socket issues but not this one. No viruses, trojans, spywear etc. on my box.

Thanks!

2. Memory_Loss

Memory_Loss

3. dukie

dukie Thread Starter

Memory Loss:

Thanks for the reply. I patched the Wsock2 in 1999 and actually re-patched it a week or so in case it was corrupted, but no help :(

Sigh. I'm beginning to think I should start thinking about burning eagle feathers on my 'puter under a full moon.

Any other thoughts?

4. Memory_Loss

Memory_Loss

I've done some searching for you and so far this is what i found for a solution.

I also found This Link

5. dukie

dukie Thread Starter

I have no hostex.ini on my box. In what file is [System.Settings]? Not in C:\Win or Win\system etc.

Or is this a registry hack?

Sorry to be dense. I didn't see anything in the kbs that mentions hostex.ini.

Where'd you find it? Thanks for hanging with me with this!!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168447

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice