1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Winsock problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tupperlady, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tupperlady

Tupperlady Thread Starter

I have been having problems connecting (Mozilla/Firefox) to the net. Time-Warner is my supplier. They have given me the "Netsh Winsock Reset Catalog" command to run, to reset my connection all the time and it does work but does not stay. If I leave the net and do something on my desktop, then try to get back on the net, I have to use the command again and reboot my machine. Time-Warner says it's not their fault. HP wants to charge me an awfully lot because the laptop is now 2 years old and I really cannot afford their fee and Microsoft says its an HP problem. When I look at my "internet connections" the one that I am suppose to be using, I see it has a little yellow triangle on it that seems to be blocking the connection and Time-Warner keeps saying this is a Winsock problem. I have run all kinds of spyware and malware programs and seem to be clear. Does anyone know how I can fix this without having to reset all the time???? It seems to me that there should be some way to make the command stay after I reset. I've been having this problem for about a month now and, of course, am very frustrated. Any help or any kind or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Can you post a HijackThis scanlog >>

Download the scanlog when the Internet is working.

Run it when it is NOT working.

Download and install HijackThis. Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5554.html

Also, though probably too late now, did you ever try "System Restore" to resolve the problem?

If you have restore points more than a month old (will depend on hard drive space available), it might be worthwhile to try one. These can be "undone" if not helpful

System Restore is accessible through Start > Run: msconfig > Launch System restore.

If you keep an old restore point, all subsequent system changes and installs will be undone.

3. Tupperlady

Tupperlady Thread Starter

Dear Rog:

Thanks so much for your reply - really appreciate it. I do have HiJack this on my computer and will follow you comments regarding the log. I will also try the System restore you mention. Going to repeat what everyone says - 99.9%computer illiterate soI will try my best to get through this. Again - deep thanks for your taking the time to answer me.
    Tupperlady

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You're welcome: do ensure you post with the latest version of HijackThis (2.02); if you are unsure -- just download the new one.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702789

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice