1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WINSPOOL.DLL not found

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by JohnPearce2, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnPearce2

JohnPearce2 Thread Starter

I recently had a windows problem and had to clean my hard drive completly and re-install all my programs and operatiang system. Before I could re-install an anti-virus software,someone in my household opened an email with the I-worm/yaha.k virus. I was able to download AVG 6.0 anti virus software from GRISOFT.com and remove the yaha.k, both from windows and also ran it from DOS. The problem I am having now, is when I try to open some, not all of my programs, I am getting the following error message . The error message is as follows..." ERROR STARTING PROGRAM... A REQUIRED DLL FILE, WINSPOOL.DVR, WAS NOT FOUND" This message appears whenever I attempt to open one of several programs, and the program will not open. The virus also has effected my start menu, so my firewall and others will not open upon start of the computer. I cannot uninstall/install software either from disc or hard drive because of the same error message. Any suggestions on how to fix
    the problem without wiping out the drive again? Is there a way to replaced the missing WINSPOOL.drv so the programs affected by the virus will open? HELP...Ive tried everything I know

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

the easist fix would be to reinstall windows over itself.

Boot into windows, insert the windows cd and run the setup program. (or copy the win98 directory to your harddrive and run it from there...faster that way). this will reinstall the system files(you will have to redownload any updates, etc) but keep all your settings intact.

Make sure you are actually inside windows before you run setup. if you boot from the cd or run it from a command prompt it will overwrite all of your settings.

3. JohnPearce2

JohnPearce2 Thread Starter

Ill try it later today and let you know what happened. Appreciate the help

John

4. chatman

chatman

Is winspool.drv missing error message caused by a virus, and how was it fixed, M y problem started when I could`nt open ie 6
    now i can`t open 90 % of my files, I need a quick fix

5. Jtoast

Jtoast

You can run a free virus scan here....

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

as per a quick fix?...what os are you running.

If its windows XP or Windows 2K you can do a repair installation.

if 98 you will be stuck reinstalling if the virus scanner doesnt fix it.

6. chatman

chatman

I fixed winspool.drv, the file was missing, I copied a file from my other pc and put it in windows/system, getting ready to resetup
    IE6

7. urikorulzs2

urikorulzs2

about the copying windows directory, how do u do that?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114835

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice