1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Winstars Docking Station

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tabvla, Nov 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

Purchased a Winstars Docking Station at Maplin today (see link below for product details).

The box says XP, Vista and W7. A techy at Maplin assured me that it was a "bog-standard" USB hub and that it would work with no problems with W8.1 (and it is a W8.1 computer that I want to use it with).

No, it does not work with W8.1 :mad: (see Screenshot attached for error message)

There is nothing wrong with the unit itself. Tested on other computers (XP, Vista, W7) - installs automatically, visible in Explorer, visible in Disk Management, works with all types of disk media. Perfect - except that it does not work with W8.1.

I have updated the Driver. Rebooted. Tried different USB ports. Same error message.

Before I take it back to Maplin does anyone perhaps have a solution.....:confused:

TiA

T.

Product Info Link : http://www.win-star.com/eshop/goods.php?id=81

Attached Files:

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    the requirements description says
    Windows 98/98SE/ME/2000/XP/ VISTA and MAC OS 9.X, or higher

what does the Maplin site say ?

3. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

Hi Wayne, thanks for your reply.

The WinStars website is not quite up-to-date and the Maplin website is limited in info. This is new stock that Maplin only received during this past week. The box states.... "....98, 2000, XP, Vista, W7 and higher....."

My local Maplin is quite a good store and they do have some really informed "techy-types" working their - if you were unkind you may even call then "techy-nerds". The person that I asked at Maplin is one of the latter - technology is his Life - so I had (have) no doubt that he is probably correct when he says that it will work "out the box with W8.1". The whole point of the USB technology is that it is a universally compatible, backwards compatible format that simply works. I have USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 devices that work seamlessly in USB 3.0 ports (as they should).

There is something that I am not understanding......

Like many of us (I guess) I have numerous USB devices (printer, keyboards, Mouses, cameras, thumb-drives, Satnav, mobile, portable HDD's, TV, monitors.... ) too many to count. Some of these date back to the early days of XP (and are still going strong) and must be all of 10 years old. ALL of these devices, without exception, work seamlessly with XP, Vista, W7 and W8.1. The only device that won't work with W8.1 is this WinStars Docking Station - it works perfectly with the other OS's and I have tested it with HDD's, Cards, Thumb-drives.... no problem.

The problem when connecting the Station to a W8.1 computer is that immediately Windows flags up a "problem" before the unit is even switched ON. If I open Device Manager and navigate to the USB devices, if I then plug the Station into a USB port, Windows immediately "sees" the Station and marks it with a Yellow Triangle with the Code 43 error.

T.

4. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

OK.... so the problem is resolved.... eventually...:(

Below are the details of the solution, provided for the benefit of any other Forum members who purchase this Docking Station.

Firstly, the WinStars Docking Station Model C1 works exactly as one would expect. In fact it exceeds expectations and is a real bargain at the price (Maplin UK £25). It competently reads and writes to SATA 3.5 and 2.5. Does the same for USB drives and a multitude of Cards and acts as a powered USB Hub. A real gem of a product for those who have a draw full of old SATA drives and want or need additional USB ports and easy access to a card reader.

Under XP, Vista and W7 it behaves exactly as you would expect. You plug it in, Windows displays the New Hardware message and then a few seconds later Windows displays the Hardware Ready message. From then on working with the Docking Station is intuitive, simple, quick and does what you want.

And then you connect it to a W8.1 computer and everything changes. W8.1 won't install it and displays a message in Device Manager that there is an undefined "problem" with the unit. Absolute nonsense, there is nothing wrong with the unit. The way that W8.1 manages the unit is very unintuitive and goes against normal sensible computing practice.

To get W8.1 to play nicely with the unit you have to follow a silly set of steps as follows....

1. Plug the unit into the wall socket
    2. Switch the unit ON
    3. If you are working with a HDD then now is the time to insert the HDD. Wait a few seconds for the disk to settle.
    4. AT THIS POINT AND NOT BEFORE insert the USB socket into the USB port
    5. The HDD can now be worked with in File Explorer or in Disk Manager
    6. When you are finished use a software Eject to safely stop the disk
    7. Swich the unit OFF
    8. Remove the disk
    9. Remove the USB socket from the USB port

If you have another disk that you want to work with then start again at (2) above.

The important thing to note is that you don't have to go through these insane steps in XP, Vista or W7 - there the little unit just works quite happily. Why W8.1 makes you take these steps only some developer at MS knows..... I certainly don't know.

T.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!