1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP 128GB barrier question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by metalsign, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. metalsign

metalsign Thread Starter

I installed a new 320GB HDD in my friend's computer the other day to replace his old 40GB HDD. He had an old copy of WinXP without the SPs. Of course, windows started out not recognizing the drive over 128GB.

He downloaded SP1 and now if i check Disk Management in Computer Management, it shows his 128GB windows partition and an unallocated area of 170GB. Right clicking on the C: drive in My Computer still only shows the 128GB.

I'll tell him to download SP2, but I don't know if that will automatically allocate the remaining 170GB.

Any ideas what to do?

Thanks in advance!

2. emoric

emoric

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Or after installing service pack 2 you can use gparted to expand the partition or make a new partition and resize them with out loosing any info.

This looks as though it is out of Linux and it is but read the info and learn how to use it becasue it knocks the socks off partition magic.....

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

4. emoric

emoric

With you being on Windows, I would just use Disk Management and merge them back together. I think it would be a lot safer. :)

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If you can do that have fun re-installing Windows.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!