1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP 3 network cards, ICS possible?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vladnl, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vladnl

vladnl Thread Starter

Hello guys
    Well after plenty hours trying to be smart arse and figure out how to share Internet connection without a hub/switch, I've decided to ask for a help from pros.

Situations is as follows:
    Main PC - XP sp2 has two built in network cards, one of them (nVidia) is connected to ADSL modem, anotherone (3com) I would like to connect to the lap top. Third network is wireless Orinoco Gold card, which I'd like to share with my WiFi PDA. Until now, I was only able to ping both cards, but never access the internet. After week or so, I am really having headache - obviosly :mad: It's darn XP, and my limited knowledge of network.
    My primary (nVidia) card has manually set configuration:
    IP 10.0.0.150
    SUB. 255.255.255.0
    GET. 10.0.0.138
    I've tried some combinations on the other two, and closest I got is to kill even Internet Access on nVidia ;)
    HELP! please
    VladNl

2. 5mi11er

5mi11er

First off, XP SP 2 has firewall software enabled automatically. This could be interfering with whatever you're doing.

With internet sharing, the PC is expecting to have to NAT from one interface to another interface. That's great, one of the cards should allow that network to get to the internet.

That brings us to the third card. Without doing something fancy, this third card is acting as an interface into a totally separate 3rd network. Just like the first two cards are acting like totally separate networks, your WAN link to the internet and LAN link to internal network. XP is doing some fancy footwork to allow anything connected to that LAN network to act to the internet as if it were coming from the XP box.

Now you've added a third NIC, and XP probably has no clue what to do about that guy. If it does, and is able to NAT that card as well, that network will have completely different IP addresses. But, this also means the wireless network won't be able to talk to the LAN network unless XP also knows NOT to NAT the addresses when those two networks are talking. My gut instinct tells me this might all be possible under XP, but it's going to be a very long painful trip to get it all configured correctly.

The smart thing for you to do, is to give up on this route completely. Buy a wireless router with a built in 4 port switch. Connect it's WAN port into the modem, connect the XP box into the 4 port LAN portion of the router, and setup the wireless network. Then everything should be able to talk to everything else, internet sharing will be done by the router, XP's security won't get in the way of the wireless network (at least on the way out to the internet), and it should be possible to get it all configured in a single afternoon.

Sticking with 3 NIC cards in an XP box may take you months.

-Scott

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Stop being a tight wad and buy a darn router. It will save you alot of pain and agony in the long run. ICS is a pita.

This one is $10 after rebate.

4. vladnl

vladnl Thread Starter

Well, I am not being cheap but broke. If I had funds I would rather set everything on 54Mbps but hey, some of us know for the money issues and some never felt that way.
    So practically what you're suggesting is to give up on my intentions... Well, final idea is to connect existing wired LAN’s to wired Hub, which I've got, and to share connection on wireless only.
    Actually, I am waiting for some old Pentium to arrive from friends and to build a Linux Access Point out of it.
    Thanks for input, I will let you know how far I got with "impossible" project ;)

Cheers
    VladNl

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I don't think he said it was impossible, but for $10 after rebates, it seems pretty silly not to have a broadband router...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273987

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice