1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP / Acer Aspire & Apple CRT compatibility?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by seanps, May 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. seanps

seanps Thread Starter

Hey,

I just purchased a used 17" Apple Studio Display CRT.

(http://everymac.com/monitors/apple/studio_cinema/specs/apple_studio_display_17.html)

It works fine with my Powerbook, but is giving my PC laptop (an Acer Aspire 1300) some trouble.

Previously, the Acer had been plugged into a generic beige monitor with no troubles. It usually boots and displays everything on the external monitor. The laptop was run over by a car a couple of years ago, which damaged the screen so badly that only a small chunk of it works. If the monitor is not plugged in, the screen will work (well, a small part of it does, anyway).

With the Apple monitor plugged in from boot-up, some of the initial boot text comes up on the CRT, then the CRT goes black and makes a chirping noise with the green monitor light staying on as soon as XP starts to load.

I've tried booting the machine into Windows and then plugging in the monitor, but same problem: the laptop screen goes black, and the CRT switches out of standby and starts making the chirping noise. The CRT stays black.

Since the text *is* displayed at start-up on the monitor, until Windows begins to bootup, I'm guessing that Windows is sending the monitor the wrong kind of signal. Do I need a new driver? Is it a compatibility issue I'm not familiar with?

This driver is currently installed: http://www.acersupport.com/notebook/..._dl.html#Video

This monitor was purchased used from a PC user that had no trouble plugging it into his Dell. I'm usually a Mac person, so my knowledge of XP display preferences is a little shoddy.

Any help would be very much appreciated, as I've got to get this XP laptop on the go soon.

Thanks!

(Using Win XP SP2)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need to lower the refresh rate and/or the resolution on the ACER. Its under Display - Settings -> Advanced -> Monitor

3. seanps

seanps Thread Starter

No luck. I did manage to get the laptop screen on, too (duh: the button on the keyboard to toggle between displays), but no amount of fiddling in the monitor settings has brought the monitor to life.

Half of the screen is shattered, though, so I can only see things on the right half.

The resolution is at 1024x768 -- 800x600 doesn't make it any better; the refresh rate is at 60hz, and I don't have any other options. (I think the Apple monitor goes to 85hz).

When I have the monitor plugged in and change the settings under "Monitor" in the advanced options, I can get something to happen, but only briefly. For the tab that should let me choose between CRT and LCD, the CRT option can be clicked -- but then the monitor makes a turning on noise, the orange standby light turns green, it chirps a couple of times, then it goes back into standby and the CRT box becomes unchecked.

Oddly, on only one of the times I rebooted itdid the ACER recognize the monitor as "STUDIODISPLY17" (or something like that). Every other time it's been Default Monitor or Plug n Play monitor. Why is it recognizing it every time?

I tried this laptop with a friend's generic 17" Samtron monitor today, and it worked fine. And the display stills works fine with my Powerbook.

Again, any help is very much appreciated!

4. seanps

seanps Thread Starter

Sorry, to be more clear:

"... no amount of fiddling in the monitor settings has brought the monitor to life."
    I mean the external monitor.

Half of the screen is shattered, though, so I can only see things on the right half.
    And it's half of the laptop screen that's shattered.

5. seanps

seanps Thread Starter

Sigh. Sorry: really should have edited that more carefully.

"Oddly, on only one of the times I rebooted itdid the ACER recognize the monitor as "STUDIODISPLY17" (or something like that). Every other time it's been Default Monitor or Plug n Play monitor. Why is it recognizing it every time?"

... I meant: NOT recognizing it every time.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well if the LCD is damaged it could be causing issues with the computer displaying the screen correctly.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/464197

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice