1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP and I.E. 8

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gz6, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gz6

gz6 Thread Starter

Ever since I updated to I.E. 8, I have been experiencing hang ups and incorrectly displaying web pages. Compstibility view does work, but the hang ups are the problem. According to Microsoft's help site, you can simply delete I.E. 8 via add/remove and the computer will revert to I.E. 7. On my computer there are numerous security, etc. updates to I.E. 8. I am reluctant to delete I.E.8. It seems too simple. I use win XP with SP3.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Go start, programs, accessories, system tools and there you will find Internet Explorer no add-ons. Start from there and see how it is please.
    That is NOT the solution it is just testing so I can possibly know which way to go further.

3. gz6

gz6 Thread Starter

I did as tou requested. I got a screen that stated there were no add on's. I had options of going to the homepage or going to the link to the add 0n page. Goining to the browser displayed it the way it always looks.

4. Macboatmaster

You start IE from where I said, accessories, system tools etc.
    When you get to this page - you simply continue to use IE, not doing anything else and see if it still locks up.

Attached Files:

5. gz6

gz6 Thread Starter

The locking up portion is just one small issue. The main issue was reverting back to I.E. 7. If I delete I.E. via add/remove per Microsoft's advice, will that in fact restore I.E. 7? There are 15 security updates shown for I.E. 8. If I deselect "show updates" on the add/remove page, the entry for I.E. 8, when hi-lited, shows it as last used on 6/26/2009. If I show updated to I.E. 8, the security updates have various other dates.

6. Macboatmaster

I fully appreciate what you are saying in your reply.
    However I think you have missed my point with respect.
    DOES IE8 now work, without problems, if you do as I asked.

If you insist on uninstalling IE8 here is the link to the correct instructions
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700#stepsforxp.

7. gz6

gz6 Thread Starter

I am doing as you requested. Sorry for the confusion. So far, there have been no "hang-ups". However, the hang ups were highly intermittant. One thing that has'nt changed is the incorrectly displaying web pages. They are still able to display correctly using compatiblity view. I will keep you informed on the "hang-up" problem.

8. Macboatmaster

Send me a screenshot please

9. gz6

gz6 Thread Starter

This is interesting. after I did a screen shot, the captured screen displayed correctly. The incorrectly displaying areas appear to be any area where the screen has a link to another page. For example, in my case, the portion of my homepage that displays the local weather, is displayed as Wichita,^A KS, instead of Wichita, KS. The "A" has the arrow above it. I double checked which language I.E.8 is set to. It is set to Auto select/Western European(ISO). In internet options, language is set to English(United States) en-us. In some instances, an incorrectly displaying area appears to include what to me looks the symbol for the Euro. I did some more investigating. By deselecting view/encoding/auto-select and then selecting unicode(UTF), so far, all of the incorrectly displaying web sites are correct. Why some web pages have to be unicode, I don't know.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975235

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice