WinXP and old BIOS

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tomlunt

Hi everyone -

I have a Dell Dimension XPS R400, about 3 years old. I would like to install WinXP for the added stability, but according to Dell:
________
While this Dell system may comply with Microsoft hardware requirements it may not provide the best customer experience with Windows XP, as its BIOS & drivers will not support Windows XP to Dell's testing standards.

Dell will not be creating another BIOS or Drivers to support this operating system.

If you are interested in running Windows XP, Dell recommends that you upgrade to a new system designed for performance and compatibility with the Windows XP operating system.
________

sounds like they would like to sell me a new computer instead. Oh well.

I am using a Phoenix Bios 4.0, release 6.0. Phoenix / Dell even go as far as calling it:

4S4EB0X1 10A 0019 P09 (A09).

I think version A13 is available, but that one is dated Oct, 1999. Microsoft would prefer a BIOS dated after Jan. 1, 2000. It's close, but I am wary.

The rest of my system should be fine (after downloading drivers ahead of time). 128 MB Ram (soon to be 256), plenty of HD space. And a Netgear networking card. Nothing fancy here.

What do you think? Should i try it anyway? Can WinXP be uninstalled?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tommy

Max19

Account Disabled
My advice would be the same regardless of computer configuration and OS.

First, back up all your data.

Attempt an upgrade if you want, but be prepared to accept the fact that it may not work.

The best way to "upgrade" to a new version of Windows is to format your hard drive, install the new OS, then reinstall all your software and restore your data.

Be prepared to spend at least 4-8 hours on this. You WILL get frustrated at least once. Deal with it, and move on.

Dell will not provide you with tech support for this, so you'll have to it without their help. One of their objectives is to sell you a new computer. They don't want to waste time, money, or resources on supporting old hardware with a new OS.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online