1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXp AutoUpdate...Damn Microsoft

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by NilAdmirari, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NilAdmirari

NilAdmirari Thread Starter

Alright I just went to update my WinXp from Microsofts automatic updater. It downloaded and installed the updates and then asked me to restart. Now when ever I restart I get a
    Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC000005, 0xF961715B, 0xF9E79130, 0xF9E78E30) blue screen error. I've tried repairing with my WinXP disk...nothing. Tried starting up in Safe Mode and I get another error that says "Winlogon.exe - Entry Point Not Found AssocIsDangerous could not be located in Dynamic Link Library Shlwapi.dll"...I click okay and the I get a WinXP setup cannot be continued in SafeMode...restarting. I've got boot floppies, and a winxp cd full version. I'd rather not reformat my comp if at all possible. One minute the whole system was working like a breeze and now...nothing. Can't even get into windows. And the Last Known Working Recovery option doesn't seem to be working either. I'm truly at a loss.

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Reboot the computer. When it finishes, press Ctrl+ALT+DEL to bring up task manager. Click New Task.

On the new page, click the Browse Button. Browse to

C:\windows\windows update setup files

Run ie6setup.exe

3. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

That last Response is not going to work. Sorry. I overlooked the BSOD you are getting.

I am not sure what you Downloaded and installed. Sounds like IE and possibly a driver too.

Try this technique:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307545

See if it helps. I would turn off automatic updates. I did. Go to Windows Update yourself. Review carefully before you install anything.

4. NilAdmirari

NilAdmirari Thread Starter

I hadn't updated IE...all I remember is downloading and installing the last 2 critical updates and 2 other recommended updates on the autoupdate page. I did go to the site myself to do this...windows didn't just do it automatically. But that still doesn't explain why I'd have a sudden inability to access windows.

Anyone know how I might access a dos prompt through XP if I can't go into windows? I'd be willing to format and do a fresh install as long as I could back up my files through dos or something.

5. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Which file system are you using? Did you try the Registry and then restore in that link yet? It really looks worse than it is.

What OS are you using at the moment? You can create a DOS bootdisk and use it to take you to a prompt. From there you can copy files. But I would wait and try to get into Windows first.

If you have FAT32 you ,might actually have an easier time using those directions and a boot disk rather than Recovery Console. You can directly try copying the registry files from one of your Restore Points to see if you get into Windows. From there, use a restore point to go back to an earlier date.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114716

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice