1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP Canon MP530 driver problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ghostman, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ghostman

ghostman Thread Starter

I recently bought the supposedly excellent Canon MP530 multi-function printer,etc. and went to install it on my WinXP pro machine and . . . nothing. I've spent some time with Canon tech support (some helpful, some not so helpful) but I still can't get the freakin' things to communicate with each other. The consistent result of my installations is "no driver is installed" or "cannot find driver" - even though the driver itself seems to install. Also, when I turn the printer on, I get the New Hardware Wizard, which, I think, means my computer is detecting the printer. It's as if the driver is just not recognized by my computer.
    I've installed (and uninstalled) the drivers from both the disc that came with the printer and from the Canon website. I've used two different USB cables. I've tried many combinations of plugging/unplugging, starting/restarting, turning on/off - all to no avail.
    I've logged on as the Administrator. I've done my best to shut down any programs or processes- though I think this is tricky, as I don't necessarily know what each thing in my Startup or Services is. I've even tried installing from SafeMode. I've tried using the New Hardware Wizard; I've tried ignoring the New Hardware Wizard. I've received a few error messages, but only when attempting the full installation from the disc. The messages are: "AddPrinterDriverEx Error:2", "AddPrinter Error:1797" and "AddPrinter Error:1722" and only occur during the part of the installation that concerns "Presto Page Manager", software that comes with the printer, so I don't know if that has anything to do with my problem.
    I do have two hard drives, and Canon had me copy my "INF" file to both drives, but that didn't do anything. I didn't entirely understand what they meant, however, so maybe I did that wrong. The guy didn't seem to think it would work anyway.
    I don't know what else to try, but I really need to use my printer. I'll call Canon back at some point, but I'd be willing to bet large sums of money that eventually they'll just say "Uh, it's your system. Good luck." Maybe it is my system, but I still need to print stuff.
    Help.

2. lefty1953

lefty1953

First uninstall the drivers. THen shut down the PC. Hook up the printer to the USB port and boot the PC. Do not turn on the printer until the software tells you to. Install the software and then it should tell you to turn on the printer. Once you do it will install some more.

This is my experience with all printers I have installed. May or may not work with the Canon.
    I can never have the printer turned on and have it work. Didn't the printer come with an installation pamphlet?

3. ghostman

ghostman Thread Starter

Wow- thanks for the quick reply.
    Yes, you have described exactly what I tried the first 8 or 9 times I tried to set up the printer. I followed the set up brochure exactly, doing what you suggest. It just didn't work.
    And I have scoured the internet looking for other people who may have had the same problem with this printer on XP and have found nothing, making me thinking it is not some general compatibility issue.

4. lefty1953

lefty1953

Have you tried to install it from Safe Mode? Or as administrator?

5. ghostman

ghostman Thread Starter

Yes, I've tried both those things. As I mentioned in my initial cry for help, I think (and this is not a well-informed opinion, or I wouldn't be here) it has something to do with my computer not recognizing Canon's driver for this printer. But I have no idea how or why that would happen.
    Thanks for your help, by the way.
    I'll try anything short of a sledgehammer.

6. lefty1953

lefty1953

It is I would guess a USB printer. So have you tried another USB cable? Is the one you have new? And is it tight?

7. ghostman

ghostman Thread Starter

Yep. As in my first request, I've used two different USB cables, different brands even. Also, usually when I turn the printer on I get the New Hardware Wizard "Found New Hardware" message, which I guess means that my computer is detecting something plugged into the port.

8. ghostman

ghostman Thread Starter

So I spent some more "quality-time" with Canon tech support - and went so far as to dip into RegEdit (about which the only thing I know is that it is a dark, evil place to be avoided at all costs), but with no luck.
    The conclusion the frustrated-but-well-meaning Tech Dude reached was that because I have two hard drives and because Windows (apparently) is on my E drive, this is confusing the installation/driver. The only solution, then, would be to consult whoever put XP on my computer in this fashion (uh . . . that would be me) and get it reinstalled properly- i.e. on my C drive. Apparently every installation looks for what it needs (the INF file?) on the C drive, even if I tell it not to.
    So I'm going to reinstall XP. Yes, I bought it. Yes, I have the disc and all the rest.
    I screwed this up once, though, so I'm a little scared. I have an external hard drive (F) that I am transferring files to (about 70gigs of video files from a movie I'm editing took about 20 hours to copy from E to F - that's not normal is it?) but I don't know if I need to transfer things like Internet Explorer or Quicktime.
    Also, I don't know how many times I can install XP with the same authentication code or key- whatever it's called. I've heard that you can only do it so many times.
    Am I doing the right thing?? Is this going to completely wipe C and E?
    I am NOT having a good time.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

When you reinstall unplug second hard drive until you have XP installed, so that main drive will become C drive.
    I really do not see what difference the drive would make on install. I think the printer is defective or there is a problem with usb ports. Are there any yellow "?" in Device Manager
    "Run, devmgmt.msc " OK

10. ghostman

ghostman Thread Starter

There are yellow "?" in Device Manager only after I plug in and turn on the new printer. And it lists under "Unknown Device" but correctly identifies the printer as "MP530" (a Canon) with another yellow "?" and a little "!".
    You mean unplug my E drive? I have to take the thing apart then.
    I've tried all six USB ports on my computer - could they all be bad? My Ipod doesn't have any trouble - actually, I also plug in my external hard drive (F) that way, and it seems okay. Though it's a bit slow. For instance, I can't run an AVI file smoothly off that drive. Of course, it's a six-foot cable - maybe that's why. I digress.

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes take cover off and pull one plug from E drive or XP will put the new OS on "E" again.
    Are the "?" in USB controllers? Have you done all Windows Updates? When you click open Usb controllers does one say "enhanced usb 2.0 or "enhanced usb controller"?
    I wonder if usb 2.0 is enabled in bios?

12. Wasper

Wasper

I agree with Rich-M , I dont think it matters what drive letter windows is on, for instance, I just got done building a machine with sata HD, sata DVD, floppy, and a flash card reader.

since the flash card reader has 4 different ports, my HD ended up being labled H:\

I have not had any problem installing software or drivers yet (knock-on-wood)

13. ghostman

ghostman Thread Starter

Actually, no- the "?" is on a new list item called "Unknown device" - none of the USB ports listed are affected AND none of the USB entries says "enhanced. . . "
    I think I've done all the Windows Updates. Does that require anything but clicking on the Windows Update tab in the start menu?
    How would I check if USB 2.0 is enabled in BIOS?
    In fact, when I plug my Ipod and/or my external drive (F) into USB ports, they do show up on that USB list. I guess the printer should to, yes?
    Also, when I plug anything into USB I get the message "this device can perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-speed USB 2.0 . . . For a list click here." And when I click on it, it just lists USB ports.
    (by the way, thanks for helping out - and if you can save me from reinstalling XP, so much the better)

14. ghostman

ghostman Thread Starter

Alright, any last suggestions before I dip my system in shrimp cocktail and feed it to a Baleen whale?
    To reiterate: No matter what permutation of driver installation and printer connection I try (see above), my computer says "cannot find software for this device" or something similiar.
    I've held off reinstalling XP, hoping for another solution.
    . . . last chance . . .

15. victor66

victor66

Ghostman:

I have a home office -- After reading several reviews and getting the MP530 for an excellent price -- I cannot get the thing to communicate with either my work laptop (could be a permission issue) or my home pc! It gets hung on the "communicating with printer" screen. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times with no luck. As it is Easter, I'll have to wait for the work week to start to look for help -- did you have any luck?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/555563

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice