WinXP CD-Writing Wizard - Can you disable on per user basis?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dionm

Hi guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm trying to figure out how to disable the CD-Writing Wizard in WinXP on a per-user basis. I know it's straight forward on a per device basis, but I have a specific need to stop certain users from using the service.

Is there an HKCU reg setting to deal with this?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

dionm

Doh - quite easy in the end - turns out there is a "Remove CD Burning Features" Group Policy setting in Win2k3 Server - just got to figure out how to get it working with a Win2k domain for our client.

dionm

For anyone that's interested - in a Win2k domain, there doesn't seem to be a "disable cd-writing" setting in Group Policy, so I wrote this .adm file to disable the feature for certain users on WinXP:

cdwrite.adm:

Code:
CLASS USER

CATEGORY "My Custom Policies" 

POLICY "Disable CD Writing"

KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer"
      VALUENAME "NoCDBurning"
      VALUEON "1"
      VALUEOFF "0"
      EXPLAIN "Disables CD Writing in Operating System."

END POLICY 

END CATEGORY
Then just create a group "Allow CD Writing" in AD, apply the above policy to everyone, but deny applying it to the created group and voila!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online