1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP Crashing, conflict with TrendMicro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hedorah, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hedorah

hedorah Thread Starter

Hi,

Firstly, my system:

HP Media Center desktop
    Windows XP SP3 version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.120821-1629)
    AMD Athlon x64 X2 Duo

I am going to do my best to describe this problem, but I have been unable to diagnose a specific cause and I am really hoping someone can help me. This is an older PC, but has been reformatted and contains very little software. In the past few months I have had this issue where the computer 'freezes' unexplainably. I say this, as it ceases to respond, to keyobard or reset buttons, and the monitor goes blue with vertical lines (not the so-called BSOD). I could use it hours with no problem, but then sometimes I have to do a hard reset 3-4 times within a couple minutes to get it running. I thought that it initially might have just been a video card or physical problem with the monitor/connection.

Anyways, all that changed recently, and now I am having this occur regularly. I cannot say for certain, but I believe it to be linked to TrendMicro. I was constantly running TrendMicro Platinum Security 2012. Two days ago, it inexplicably stopped working, in that Windows no longer detected antivirus protection, it would not load properly, and continuously would 'hang' when applying an update. As a result, I removed the software and installed a new version of TrendMicro Platinum Security 2013. That is where the problems really escalated. I am unable to complete any further installations of TM. When at the end, the blue screen freezing will always occur. Then I cannot ever uninstall successfully either, same unresponsiveness and blue screen. I have done two System Restores to prior points, one with the earlier TM 2012, and one with nothing, and still the problem occurs. When TM is installed, I can only boot in safe mode, as any other thing leads to the freezing when TM protection is loading.

IN terms of what I can tell, I have also noticed problems with JAVA (jscript errors popping up frequently) and .Net Framework. Both of these are visible on the event log, but neither conflict occurs when the 'blue screen' happens. I have removed Java and verified the .Net Frameworks (1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5) using .NET FRAMEWORK SETUP VERIFICATION TOOL, and neither has helped. The computer will now boot, as I have restored to a pre-TM 2013 (post 2012) point but I still think it is not fixed, and of course can't reinstall the antivirus. And I have also run MalwareBytes for what that is worth and turned up nothing.

This computer is essential to me, and I would like to get it running properly right away (typing up a PhD thesis!). If anyone can help, please let me know.

Additional info:

.Net Error
    .NET Runtime Optimization Service (clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_32) - Service reached limit of transient errors. Will shut down. Last error returned from Service Manager: 0x80029c4a.

The windows is a genuine copy, obtained through academic license.

Obviously I would like to continue to use my TM 2013 subscription for protection, if possible.

Help? :confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089105

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice