1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP "Desktop-Background" image off-center!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LoveGoldens, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LoveGoldens

LoveGoldens Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Sunday, Apr 4, 2010

This morning, I noticed that my Windows' "Desktop background (wallpaper) image" no longer displays correctly. After selecting any image (normally, I use one of my .jpg's), and setting it to "stretch," it will not display the "stretched" version to fit the image dimensions fully. It no longer "shrinks or expands" to fit the horizontal, actual size of the image to the width of my monitor's display area.

(Note: I'm certain that it was working properly just days ago, but I only noticed the issue today.)

When I choose "center" (the image), the displayed image is not centered, but it is actually off-center to the right (horiz), and lower (vertically)! I see lots of plain background color in the upper-left portion of my display, and the image is nearly off the screen toward the left and bottom-left portion of my display.

* I'm using Windows XP Home Edition, with all latest updates.
    * I recently upgraded from Internet Explorer 7 to Internet Explorer 8 (and, updated its files).
    * No new software has been installed recently, except for updates from Microsoft, a new AVG Internet Security program reinstall, and Blizzard's "World of Warcraft/Wrath of The Lich King" game's regular weekly updates.

All software appears to be working correctly. No problems except for the sudden inability for the 'desktop' image to be handled correctly by WinXP?

For reference:
    * My Monitor is "Acer H233H"
    * My (antique) Video Card is: ATI Radeon X1550 (AGP)/512MB RAM
    * I normally run my screen resolution at one of these two settings (with no problem):
    -- 1280x800
    -- 1920x1080

Something has changed, and I don't know what it could be, and/or how to fix it back to "normal" again.

Please, forgive my extreme "wordiness" in trying to describe this issue!

Any help will be appreciated, greatly!

Larry

2. huggie54

huggie54

Hiya,is there settings on the monitor to correct this? Or you could try a system restore to a couple of days earlier

3. LoveGoldens

First Name:
    Larry
    Thank you for replying!

Yes, the monitor does have various settings available, but the controls are "touch-sensitive." Plus, the silly people who designed the bizzarre software, never supplied instructions! Its menu shows horiz and vert adjustment option, but it's greyed-out!

I was just going to try to find their web site for more information on how to adjust the monitor, when I decided to check for an answer to my post (here) first. I'm glad I did.

If there's any monitor support (which I doubt), I'll be sure to post here again with whatever I find out.

-- Larry

4. LoveGoldens

First Name:
    Larry
    EDITED BY OLD_FART: By accident, I found that I can "scroll" the desktop image by holding down my mouse key and "dragging" the image to relocate it.

However, the image portrayed is at its original dimensions 1920x1080 (huge!), therefore only a portion of it shows when monitor rez is set at something smaller, like 1280x800, or smaller.

It didn't behave like this before. My system used to "stretch" even a larger image to "fit the display area" so that everything showed on the screen.

END OF EDIT -----------

Well, after hours of trying, I finally got Acer's tech "support" to at least give me the location (on their web site) of the current driver for my monitor, and they provided a step-by-step procedure in the email for me to install it.

I installed the driver, rebooted my system, and the problem still exists as it did before the new driver.

Also, they haven't yet answered, or even commented on, my initial request to them about "Instructions for use of the monitor's 'touch' menu options." -- They have ignored that question, 3 times.

The solution is probably something rather simple, yet I have tried everything I know of. I even downloaded and reinstalled my complete driver package for my video card. That didn't improve anything either.

Do you have any other suggestions?

It's too bad that this forum won't allow me to attach the ".jpg" screenshot for you, as an example of my problem. It's on my hard drive, but not on posted anywhere on the web. Hmmm?

Larry

5. LoveGoldens

First Name:
    Larry
    Does anyone have any knowledge about how to get Windows to display my Wallpaper image correctly again?

I posted this before, and it still applies to this topic.

"The image portrayed is at its original dimensions 1920x1080 (huge!), therefore only a portion of it shows when monitor rez is set at something smaller, like 1280x800, or smaller.

It didn't behave like this before. My system used to "stretch" even a larger image to "fit the display area" so that everything showed on the screen".

Why doesn't it "stretch to fit" any longer? How can I fix that problem?

Hoping for a solution.

Larry

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Sounds like you've enabed the Panning desktop feature, where your Monitor is a widow on a larger display.

See this article for how to set it up, this should help you find the steps needed to turn it off. My guess is the maximum resolution setting in the ATI Catalyst Control Center is set lower than the resolution you are trying to use.
    Setting up Pan & Scan Virtual DesktopWith the ATI Catalyst Control Center

7. LoveGoldens

First Name:
    Larry
    Thanks for replying. I read the article and even emailed the author for help. The article doesn't explain how to stop the virtual expanded desktop.

ATI's "help" file hints on how to set up the Virtual Desktop. But, its instructions pertain to users who have multiple monitors. It mentions doing it using one monitor (plugged in as a VGA monitor -- mine is plugged in as a DVI), BUT, THERE IS NO OPTION TO REVERT THE EXPANDED, VIRTUAL DESKTOP BACK TO "SINGLE DISPLAY MODE."

I've changed driver versions, reinstalled ATI software, etc. None of that worked. I contacted the maker of my monitor (Acer). The rediculous "non-answers" I got from their so-called "technical support" staff, proves that Acer has no real technical support. Their "User's Manual" is one of the worst I've ever seen!

Therefore, I guess I'm stuck with this silly expanded desktop until I toss this computer into the dump!

Microsoft has no information on this virtual desktop problem that I could find. That isn't too surprising to me.

Thank you (all of you!) for your attempts in helping me fix (what should have been) a simple problem. I spent a week on it, with no success.

Larry

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!