1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP: Dialup modem shuts down and reboots pc when trying to connect! HELPPPPPPPP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blackberrybunny, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blackberrybunny

blackberrybunny Thread Starter

Hi,

My PC came with WINXP factory installed. After 4 years of hard use, I decided to reformat my HD with the restore disk that came with the PC> I had saved backup files of all of my programs, documents, pics, etc. The reformat went smoothly.

But then, when the PC booted up, it said windows had recovered from a SERIOUS error. I wrote down most of the tech info --- it said something about a dumpfile. I have it written down if it's needed--it's very long!

Anyways, I guess it didn't recover from that serious error, because every time I try to connect, using my dialup fax/modem, as soon as the modem engages, the pc shuts down and reboots.

I'm using PeoplePC. I called them, and they said it is a virus. I told them but how? i just reformatted the HD---it's brand new again, like out of the box! They couldn't help me.

SO, I need some help, please!~ I've had to borrow a friend's desktop pc and lug it home, just so I could get online here and try to get some help.

Below is the tech info I pulled from the error message. (It was asking me if I wanted this info sent to Microsoft. I just laughed---HOW to send it when the damn modem is shutting down my PC?!)

C:\windows\minidump\mini.110807-30.dmp
    C:\Docum~1\Molly\local2~1\temp\wer1.tmp.dir00\sysdata..xml

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A little more info is needed.

1 Was this a recovery type CD you used or did you use a windows xp install disk?
    2 Does the system run fine without using the modem?
    3 Are there any yellow marks in device manager?

3. blackberrybunny

I'm sorry for my delay in replying; my friend's pc---the one I lugged home last night to use, has crashed on me a few times already. Man, it's not my day!

I used the Restore disk that came with my computer. The OS was factory installed, so they included a restore disk. This is an eMachine PC that I'm having the trouble with.

The system runs fine without the modem. After I reformatted it, when the desktop comes up, an error box comes up which says windows has recovered from a serious error.

No, no conflicts showing......

I've done a little reading online at other forums, searching for an answer. Some ppl saying it's a virus; how can that be when I reformatted the hard drive? In fact, I did the restore disk at least 5 or 6 times, hoping it woul wipe out the problem. No luck.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A restore type disk usually returns the system to the same state it was in when shipped so you should have drivers for the modem as long as it is original.

It is possible to have a boot sector virus. As a test, you can wipe the drive with something like DBAN or killdisk either of these will wipe the drive removing any chance of a boot sector virus. Once done, use the restore disk.

Next just to be sure this was not a modem that was added later correct? That is it came with the system.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other bit of advise. If you have a second hd, I would pull the power from it when doing the wipe. This will make sure you cannot wipe a drive with important data.

Next when you wipe a drive, it removes everything; so if you have data on the drive you need, you will have to copy it before doing this task.

6. blackberrybunny

Hi, thanks for trying to help me! I could not get the computer fixed, so I ran out to walmart and bought a $400 Compaq tower, with Windowws Vista. At least I am back online now, and can continue to seek help. I would still like to get the proglem fixed!

If I had a second HD, I wouldn't know how to pull that out and do what you suggested.

The modem is NOT the original that came with the eMachine. In fact, our fax/modem had been hit, by lightning, through the phone line several times. I have replaced the modem at least 11, or 12 times in the last three years. THAT I CAN do, LOL! The thing is, the modem was working perfectly, and then I decided to reformat the HD with that restore disk. Then, every time I'd try to get the modem to dial, it would shut down and reboot the system.

So, that boot wiping software, I can just download it, burn it on a CD, put it into the crazy emachine, use the software the wipe the drive, and then redo the restore CD, right?

Why wouldn't my AV software catch a boot sector virus? I mean, has this thing literally destroyed my computer, or what?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am not saying you have a virus, it is just a possibility. Since this modem is not the one that came with the system, have you installed the driver for the modem? Windows may have a native driver however the modem maker often releases updated drivers to fix a problem. I would check that before doing anything else.

In addition have you tried moving the modem to another pci slot? Often devices can have a conflict that moving to another slot will correct.

Here is what I would do. Remove any software associated with the modem. Shutdown and move the modem to another slot. Note the bottom pci slot on many boards does not share resources with other slots/devices. Restart the system and install the latest driver from the modem maker.

8. blackberrybunny

I looked at the device manager again, and the modem properties, and everything says the modem is working fine. No conflicts. This is the same US Robotics modem I have been using for the last few months, and it's the same one I am having trouble with. Like I said, it worked fine before the reformat. Also, the driver IS there. I have 3 PCI slots, and I have tried the modem in each, same results. I just wish I had an extra modem to try! But this is the only one. (I'm not about to take the one out of the new PC I just bought 2 days ago, LOL!)

SO: The driver is there, there are no conflicts and the PC runs fine otherwise. When I took the modem out, and told the PC to dial up, it said there was no modem. So it can tell if it's there, or if it's not. Man, I'm confused! I was just about to download that KillDisk you recommended, when I saw you had replied. I figure it can't hurt to try that software and then insert the restore disc again and see what happens.

The thing is, if the reformatting makes the pc just like new, like out of the box, then why is it saying it's recovered from a serious error as soon as the desktop loads? I mean, what could be wrong there? That has to be part of the problem, right?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you did the os install, you did install your chipset drivers, update to sp2, etc, correct?

10. blackberrybunny

Hmmm I don't know what a chipset is. All I know is that I have this restore disc that claims it will make my pc like new. I'm not very advanced in that department! However, now that you mention it, I DID run across a windows SP2 the other day---didn't think to install it. But I'm still confused.... if the restore disc makes it like new, and when it WAS new, before I had SP2 installed, I was able to dialup and get online.

I'm sorry for being such a pain---I understand how hard it is to try to diagnose these types of things online without having the hardware in your hands....

I did make a Hijack this log file before I reformatted, and posted it in another section of this forum, asking for help. No one replied--- maybe you can spot something in it? A clue? This hijack file is from before I did the reformatting. When no one replied, I eventually gave up and figured putting in that restore disc would solve all of my problems. Har har har! ;)

Here is what I posted:

I have no idea what I'm looking for, but RemoveIt program said I had 2 viruses:

sys32.cpbrkpie.ocx

and

sys32adrot-uninst

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 3:56:43 PM, on 11/1/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16544)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus 2007\pavsrv51.exe
    C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus 2007\AVENGINE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
    C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus 2007\psimsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus 2007\apvxdwin.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    c:\program files\panda software\panda antivirus 2007\WebProxy.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe
    C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus 2007\psimreal.exe
    C:\DOCUME~1\Wayne\LOCALS~1\Temp\Temporary Directory 11 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://home.peoplepc.com/search/
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/...ch/search.html
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/.../www.yahoo.com
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Windows Internet Explorer provided by Yahoo!
    R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
    N2 - Netscape 6: # Mozilla User Preferences
    // This is a generated file!

user_pref(".aim.general.im.enterCR", false);
    user_pref(".aim.general.im.smilies", false);
    user_pref(".aim.general.im.tabKey", false);
    user_pref(".aim.general.im.timeStamp", false);
    user_pref(".aim.mail.presence", true);
    user_pref("aim.mail.presence", false);
    user_pref("browser.chrome.toolbar_tips", false);
    user_pref("browser.display.screen_resolution", 96);
    user_pref("browser.history.last_page_visited", "https://survey.mypoints.com/pss/survey/5gTTY/20070305_nq.htm?MID=NoyGR8nVol4qo10t&embed=1");
    user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CProgram%20Files%5CNetscape%5CNetscape%206%5Csearchplugins%5CSBWeb_01 .src");
    user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "www.yahoo.com");
    user_pref("browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone", "rv:0.9.4");
    user_pref("browser.toolbars.showbutton.bookmarks", false);
    user_pref("browser.toolbars.showbutton.go", true);
    user_pref("browser.toolbars.showbutton.mynetscape", false);
    user_pref("browser.to
    N2 - Netscape 6: # Mozilla User Preferences
    // This is a generated file!

user_pref(".aim.general.im.enterCR", false);
    user_pref(".aim.general.im.smilies", false);
    user_pref(".aim.general.im.tabKey", false);
    user_pref(".aim.general.im.timeStamp", false);
    user_pref(".aim.mail.presence", true);
    user_pref("aim.mail.presence", false);
    user_pref("browser.chrome.toolbar_tips", false);
    user_pref("browser.display.screen_resolution", 96);
    user_pref("browser.history.last_page_visited", "https://survey.mypoints.com/pss/survey/5gTTY/20070305_nq.htm?MID=NoyGR8nVol4qo10t&embed=1");
    user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CProgram%20Files%5CNetscape%5CNetscape%206%5Csearchplugins%5CSBWeb_01 .src");
    user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "www.yahoo.com");
    user_pref("browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone", "rv:0.9.4");
    user_pref("browser.toolbars.showbutton.bookmarks", false);
    user_pref("browser.toolbars.showbutton.go", true);
    user_pref("browser.toolbars.showbutton.mynetscape", false);
    user_pref("browser.to
    O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {243B17DE-77C7-46BF-B94B-0B5F309A0E64} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {724d43a9-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\roboform.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\2.1.615.5858\swg.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &RoboForm - {724d43a0-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\roboform.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RemoveIT Pro XT] C:\Program Files\InCode Solutions\RemoveIT Pro v4-Trial\removeit.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Customize Menu - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComCustomizeIEMenu.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Fill Forms - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComFillForms.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Save Forms - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComSavePass.html
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Fill Forms - {320AF880-6646-11D3-ABEE-C5DBF3571F46} - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComFillForms.html
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Fill Forms - {320AF880-6646-11D3-ABEE-C5DBF3571F46} - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComFillForms.html
    O9 - Extra button: Save - {320AF880-6646-11D3-ABEE-C5DBF3571F49} - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComSavePass.html
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Save Forms - {320AF880-6646-11D3-ABEE-C5DBF3571F49} - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComSavePass.html
    O9 - Extra button: RoboForm - {724d43aa-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComShowToolbar.html
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: RoboForm Toolbar - {724d43aa-0d85-11d4-9908-00400523e39a} - file://C:\Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboFormComShowToolbar.html
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
    O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.emachines.com
    O16 - DPF: Inquisit by Millisecond Software - file://C:\DOCUME~1\Wayne\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP\InquisitAx.cab
    O16 - DPF: {1663ed61-23eb-11d2-b92f-008048fdd814} (MeadCo ScriptX Advanced) - http://www.stonyfield.com/coupons/scriptX/smsx.cab
    O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsof...?1170066992625
    O16 - DPF: {7584C670-2274-4EFB-B00B-D6AABA6D3850} (Microsoft RDP Client Control (redist)) - http://www.teravant.com/taxidev/msrdp.cab
    O16 - DPF: {C4925E65-7A1E-11D2-8BB4-00A0C9CC72C3} (Virtools WebPlayer Class) - http://a532.g.akamai.net/f/532/6712/.../Installer.exe
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{7EA7B00C-007C-490F-B351-DF7993A642E1}: NameServer = 209.244.0.3 209.244.0.4
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: avldr - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\avldr.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WB - C:\PROGRA~1\Stardock\OBJECT~1\WINDOW~1\fastload.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
    O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
    O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
    O23 - Service: Kodak Camera Connection Software (KodakCCS) - Eastman Kodak Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel(R) Corporation - c:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Panda anti-virus service (PAVSRV) - Panda Software International - C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus 2007\pavsrv51.exe
    O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
    O23 - Service: Panda IManager Service (PSIMSVC) - Panda Software - C:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus 2007\psimsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe

11. SB305

SB305

I've found dial-up modems to be a real pain on XP, particularly when you try to get XP to the accept the drivers which came with the modem.
    Since you've already had this one working previously, can I suggest that you remove it and its software and then restart and reinstall the drivers that came with it - not the ones that XP will want to install if you let it. Also, don't update the drivers if Windows Update offers you an optional hardware update in future.
    Finally, if you haven't installed SP2, it would be a good idea to.

12. blackberrybunny

Hooray! I figured out, at least, how to get rid of that annoying error message about the SERIOUS error windows just recovered from. I did an msconfig and there it was, something about the dumpfile, so I deleted it and everything else in there. And I also installed WinXPSVP2 and it's gone now!!! MAYBE now my modem will work. I will install it again tomorrow and try it out; I'll let you guys know if it works! Thanks for all of your help, especially crjdriver!

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome. Since it is a USRobotics/3Com type modem, xp has a native driver for the modem. I doubt that there is even a driver to download on the site.

Good luck and post back with results.

BTW chipset drivers are the motherboard drivers. Since you have a restore type disk, it should already have had the drivers installed. When you do a clean install with a real MS install disk, you need to install the chipset/mb drivers after you have finished the install.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650106

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice