1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP extremely slow to load

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by elgeektech, Oct 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elgeektech

elgeektech Thread Starter

I have an HP pavilion 533w that takes at least 10 minutes to load WinXP OS. What can I do to speed up the process. The following are some of the things that I have done to help matters.
    1. Disabled all at MSconfig.
    2. Removed everything at the Windows/startup folder.

Thanks in advance

System Specs...
    OS winXP/SP 2
    CPU 2.00Ghz/256mb ram
    50gb HD

2. MikeSwim07

MikeSwim07

3. MikeSwim07

MikeSwim07

4. elgeektech

elgeektech Thread Starter

Thanks MikeSwim for your prompt reponce. I have 256mb ram. I will run defrag as you suggested.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

For todays environment you really have a slow pc if you are looking for speed. 512 ram today is almost XP minimum we like to see and if your hard drive is original it may be showing signs of age also. Do you have bios set to optimum defaults? Have you looked in bios to make sure things like boot sector virus check is disabled, floppy drive check and other nonsensical processes that slow down a bootup. Do you have a small group of needed icons on the left side only of your desktop? More will slow it down and even unnecessary or missing items in start and program menu can slow you down.
    Remember in order to arrive at bootup, everything must be ready to go that is called for. Things like downloads sitting in the root of "C" drive can slow that as well as downloaded program "exe's" sitting on the desktop or even just large files as opposed to shortcuts to them can also cause a slowdown in boot and running.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!