1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP Fails to Load Settings

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by blublayze, Aug 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blublayze

blublayze Thread Starter

Last night I had to shut down my computer through the power button, as the computer had froze (due to me routinely overloading it, not restarting it for several hours, etc). This is very normal, but when I turned the computer on today, it took an abnormally long time to boot up.

When I entered my user password it spent a full two minutes loading my settings, then sent me to a blank desktop window. There are no errors that appear, I cannot use the little windows key on my keyboard to bring up programs, and the only way I can access anything is through ctrl+alt+delete.

What went wrong? What can I do?

Thanks in advance.

2. Lance1

Lance1

Boot into safe mode. Click start \ Run and type msconfig. Click the startup tab and see what is running at boot up.

3. blublayze

blublayze Thread Starter

Solved!

Somehow after about five restarts, it solved itself.

Thank you for your help, though!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!