1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP firewall

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Wayne O, Dec 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wayne O

Wayne O Thread Starter

I have a Compaq 5102US, 1GHz, 128MB RAM, 40GB HD, Internet Explorer 6 with Windows XP. This is a stand-alone PC connecting to the Internet via a dialup connection. CompuServe is my ISP and uses CompuServe's proprietary software to connect to the Internet.

I tried to check out and activate the (limited) firewall feature of WinXP, however, I was not able to access this feature..."

The steps I took are:
    Start
    Control Panel
    Network and Internet Connections Network Connections
    under Dial Up I clicked on CompuServe
    Network Tasks
    Change settings of this connection
    then, no further window appears

Under Dialup, I have also tried to right-click and select properties. Again, no further window appears to offer information on this connection (or an option to access the firewall feature.

FWIW, also under Dial Up is Microsoft Internet Referral Services. If I click on this and then click on Change settings of this connection, an additional window *does* appear where I can see the firewall options.

Also, in Network Connections under the LAN or High Speed Internet, the LAN icon has an “X” on it saying “Local Area Connection – a network cable is unplugged.” This “Xed” out icon is also visible in System Tray. I have no unplugged cables. Is this just telling me this connection is not made?

Your help and expertise are greatly appreciated.

Wayne Oxtoby

2. cjbtaylor

cjbtaylor

If you goto START, CONNECT TO and right click on your connection, and t hen PROPERTIES, ADVANCED, their you will be able to check your firewall and read about it, Hope this helps,

One thing I will say is you cant go wrong with the free zonealarm firewall at www.zonealarm.com

Its probably the best free one out their.

Happy Surfing

Colin

3. Dan O

Dan O

Once at Network and Internet Connections Network Connections double click the icon or right click icon or CompuServe title. Select Properties and the Advanced tab. If you are a Classic CompuServe user no special software is required. You use Windows' standard PPP connection and the CIS.SCP connection script.

4. Wayne O

Wayne O Thread Starter

Colin - thanks for your help and direction. Next time I'm at my office Win XP machine, I will try your suggestion...Start/Connect to ... to see what happens.

Thanks,

Wayne

Dan O - Likewise, your time and assistance are greatly appreciated. I have, however, attempted to access the firewall options via this method and no window presents itself (where I could click on the Advanced tab to access the firewall options).

In the WinXP Firewall general overview (Help Menu), it says something to the effect that the firewall cannot be employed on any application that does not connect directly to the Internet (which could interfere with the Adaptor). As CompuServe uses it own proprietory software to connect, perhaps this is why no 'properties' window appears to allow firewall access???

Thanks again,

Wayne

PS As individual reply options were not present for each of the responses to my post, I am answering both herein. I am new to this message board:)

5. Dan O

Dan O

You're welcome and did a good job on the reply.

I use CompuServe myself and I use the standard Windows dialer and the CIS.SCP script that comes with XP. To do so you use the Classic CompuServe dial-in telephone numbers.

I use ZoneAlarm with Windows 98 and XP's firewall for XP. I have tested XP firewall and it appears to work very well.

Have a great New Year.

6. buck52

buck52 Banned

Dan O

May I jump in with a question? Thanks.:)

I have read that the XP firewall does nothing to monitor outgoing traffic. Can you comment on that? I have it turned off myself and use ZA

buck

7. Dan O

Dan O

Buck,

You are correct XP only blocks incoming, which is normal for a firewall and is good enough for the average person. I ran seveal tests to break into my PC with the XP firewall, it stopped them all. I am impressed, plus it being part of the OS, adds very low overhead, and it is free makes it pretty good. But if you want a more advanced and configurable firewall that has outbound filtering which adds overhead ZA is a good choice.

8. buck52

buck52 Banned

Dan O

Thanks much for your thoughts

buck

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63374

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice