WinXP Flash screen altered after SP2 installed

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Gary777

One of the reasons I hesitated to download and install SP-2 is that it alters the flash screen during boot up by removing the version (“Home,” “Professional”). Now I've done it on my personal computer and sure enough, the flash screen after posting no longer shows "Professional." I also just loaded Windows XP Media Center Edition, and once I updated with SP-2, the same thing happened. The flash screen shows "Windows XP" but the words "Media Center Edition" below that no longer show. These systems are both legitimate.

Is there some way I can fix this?

That is be design, as decreed by Microsoft. Its an indicator that SP2 is applied. The actual version of XP is still shown under Control Panel correctly. The boot screen image means nothing.

The "image" is not a separate replaceable image in the normal sense, its hard coded into the Kernel of XP, so trying to mess with it is prone to having a nasty outcome.

Other than using one of the Boot Screen modifier programs that some people have written, no way to change it that I am aware of. I have had to recover several systems where the add-on boot screen loader failed as well, so its not a modification I would recommend for a few seconds of visibility on boot up.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online