1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

winxp - folder options panel doesn't show general or view tabs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by madmad, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. madmad

madmad Thread Starter

In short, the problem I'm having is that when I open the Folder Options control panel, the only tabs that appear are File Types and Offline Files. I would like to change some other folder settings that normally appear under the General and View tabs, but they're not there!

Relevant Info:
    Windows XP SP2 (completely updated)
    No spyware or viruses
    Logged in as an administrator
    Tried safe mode, same results
    Have restarted multiple times

The only other possibly important issue is that I recently replaced a stick of bad RAM in this machine that was causing flakiness. The machine is very stable now, but could this have affected Windows? I doubt it, but am pretty much out of ideas for what might be causing this.

Any help would be much appreciated. Also if anyone needs more info, I'm happy to provide it.

Thanks, Pete

2. mike5532g

mike5532g

3. madmad

madmad Thread Starter

Tried adding those registry values and rebooting, but saw no results. I think that solution is for something spyware related. I don't believe my problem was caused by spyware. Does anybody else have any suggestions? Or just some info as to what would cause this? Thanks in advance.
    -Pete

4. madmad

madmad Thread Starter

Also, the computer runs fine otherwise... like it's fresh out of the box.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I've only seen a few google web and google groups hits for this, none with a resolution.

Do you have any idea how long the problem has existed? System Restore would be an option if it hasn't been too many moons. You can always undo a restore if not helpful.

It sounds like registry damage, but it's hard to say just what.

Possibly this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder

If you want to export it as a text file and upload it here as an attachment, I will compare with mine.

The registry patch was for administrative restrictions -- but the only one I know of "nofolderoptions" would have removed the entire applet from the Control Panel and Tools menu.

It's possible your flaky ram could have caused the registry corruption.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/363522

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice