1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP - Hardware Malfunction

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cdlyon, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cdlyon

cdlyon Thread Starter

Recently I have been getting a blue screen crash with the message 'Hardware Malfunction' in XP. This only happens when I am starting the PC up after being turned off for a while (like overnight). It seems to go away after the PC warms up.

The odd thing is that I don't get this condition in any of the other OS'es that I have on this PC (various Linux, OS2 Warp). I can start those up cold and it never happens. So I have gotten in the habit of booting up into another OS and running for a while and then re-booting into XP. Then everyting is fine.

I have run memory diagnostics and no errors are reported.

How can it be a hardware problem if other OS'es function OK?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dennis

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

Can you post what the error says? About which hardware it mentions? Different OS's use different drivers in different ways. This could explain why XP is having a problem with a piece of hardware while the other OS's you run may not. It may be that XP sees 2 or more drivers for a hardware device and can't make up it's mind on which to use, hence, your blue screen. It may also be a true hardware failure and XP is the only OS that "deals" with it.

3. cdlyon

cdlyon Thread Starter

That's the annoying part - it doesn't mention a specific device.

It says "Hardware Malfunction Restart your computer Contact your hardware vendor for support"

That's it.

I have been running XP for over a year and this just started. I am using the same video card, sound card, motherboard, etc that I was so I'm at a loss as to what triggered this.

(In addition to the memory diagnostic, I've run IBM's Drive Fitness Test on all three HDD's with no errors reported.)

And once the system warms up, no further problems.

4. Emtronics

Emtronics

Have you seen THIS page? Is this the type of error you receive?

5. cdlyon

cdlyon Thread Starter

Yes, I checked the MS KB as soon as I started getting the problem. I did check memory as the article suggested with OK results.

I do not get any of the specific references to any device as the article indicates could appear. I just get the top message portion.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!