1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP History Delete

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by judge, Jan 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. judge

judge Thread Starter

Thanks jacoca for suggestion of using delete history in internet options to clear WinXP History Log. I had tried that and although it appears to clear it, when I go to the log, all of the entries are still there. I am now clearing it by going to Norton Security Systems Options>View Event Log>Clear All. There must be a better way. Don't know why delete history in Internet Options does not work.
    After history is cleared, is it still anywhere on my
    computer?

2. aubry

aubry

Ok lets clean your hard drive of all temp files.lets do it in Dos,which is much better.Go to Start>Shutdown>restart in Ms-dos>at the c:\ prompt type,

Smartdrv (hit the enter key)
    Deltree/y Tempor~1 (hit the enter key)
    Deltree/y History (hit the enter key)
    deltree/y Cookies (hit the enter key)
    Deltree/y Downlo~1 (hit the enter key)

Exit (hit the enter key)

This will remove all the temp file and folders fron your computer,windows will recreate new ones when you reboot.

(taken from a thread in which beach51 came up with this. it might work for you!)

3. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Unfortunately Windows XP doesn't store those files in the root of the boot drive like Windows 95/98/ME does so the post above won't work with XP.

Anyway, I'd stick with using Nortons to delete the stuff since it's the easier method but if you want to see how to delete it manually, try this,

First be sure you've got your folder view option set to show all files including system files, etc...

Then just use Windows Explorer and search for folders named Content.ie5

Once they are found, look inside of each of the Content.ie5 folders for other folders with strange names that are random letters and numbers. You can delete them and that should get rid of the TIF stuff. If you have any doubts about what to delete, post the names of the folders you find.

BTW, <a href=http://www.aandrc.com/purgeie/> here's</a> a shareware utility that's free for the 14 day trial period. After the 14 day trial period ends, it costs $14.95 to keep it permanently. It allows you to delete the things your worried about. I've never used it but it appears to be a nice program.

4. buck52

buck52 Banned

I have been using it...and eddie5659 just posted it in the thread below this one...

Spider seems to work fine for cleaning all that junk in XP

http://www.fsm.nl/ward/

buck

5. judge

judge Thread Starter

PROBLEM SOLVED

The Spider program seems to have solved the problem. Many thanks to all for the help.

6. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Thanks Buck, I didn't now Spider worked with XP. I just installed it and it does appear work fine.

7. buck52

buck52 Banned

Your welcome and thanks for confirming it

buck

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66605

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice