1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP Home Edition - Freezing at "Welcome" window

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JPMonette, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JPMonette

JPMonette Thread Starter

Bonjour

This morning, I opened my WinXP computer and the loading frozed at the « Welcome » window, the one with a blue background, just before the login screen. The only way to escape this is by force restarting (pressing my PC I/O button). I tried to opened my WinXP throw safe mode, but the it was also freezing at the loading (the place with the black background and the white text in footer).

When I read my email on my Linux partition, I saw two email from Nod32 (i installed the AV recently). I think the problem come from the second one from [email protected]@@k.DLL.

And also:

When I first scan my PC, NOD32 detected [email protected]@@k.DLL in system32 folder. I than moved the file in c:\dev\ for analysing it with OllyDbg debugger and I renamed the one in system32. I saw on an AV website that this file could be really important for some program, and may block some program from running. Maybe an important winxp file need it (infected winxp file).

My friend said me to do a « fixmbr » with the Recovery Console that comes on the WinXP Pro CD, but I know that this function will overwrite my grub (so no more Linux) and i dont have another CD to reinstall grub. Maybe this will fix my problem, or maybe it'll just be worse, without winxp and linux.

Thanks a lot and goodnight

2. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

[email protected]@@k.DLL.

is a small dll files used in videogame trainers. it is commonly used when making your own trainer for a pc game on using someone elses

it allows the trainer to respont to certain key commands like for red alert 2, shift + f1 enabled unlimited money when running the trainer.

a virus scan and a spyware remover will find it as a bad file because that dll is able to capture keystrokes (thats the way a simple trainer works. the more complex ones don't need the dll.

_______

for your boot problem, are you able to get into safe mode. if so, try this

click on start

click on run

type in msconfig and press enter

click on launch system restore, then go back 1 day.

3. mathieumg

mathieumg

inuyasha320, I deduce he cannot open in safe mode.

4. JPMonette

JPMonette Thread Starter

Exactly, but I'm searching for another way to reach the program System Restore, I'll see in the WinXP Pro CD, but I don't think it'll be working.

Someone else have an idea ?

5. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

i wonder if theres a way to get into a command prompt and run it through there

6. JPMonette

JPMonette Thread Starter

Maybe I have a corrupted file required at the startup... Is ther someone else able to help me ?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!