1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP Home - Hardware Update Wizard

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RSM123, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RSM123

RSM123 Thread Starter

On Saturday I posted in the Hardware Forum for help with a Graphics Driver related problem. I had been and still am unable to run any games for more than a few minutes without the system crashing.

As I disabled the reboot an encountering an error I know the name of the file and that many others have reported the same similar issue. Its regarding a GeForce 440 card and the filename is nv4_disp.dll.

I have just downloaded tweaked drivers from Omegacorner and followed the install procedure exactly - sadly the error persists.

My question here (finally :) ) is about the Hardware Update Wizard - while I was following the above install, the wizard opened and there were 3 different entries for my graphics card :confused:

One is clearly the latest (45.23), one is an earlier (31.00) and the last presumably generic as its unnumbered.

Does anyone know how I can get rid of the two earlier ones as it seems possible they are causing the aforementioned crashes. I ask because in the H/ware wizard - Right Click / Delete is not an option, and despite this anomaly there is only 1 entry in Device Manager.

I have also used Find Files / Folders to look for nv4_disp.dll and there are 8 entries for it in different folders. Have tried renaming some to .old - but this cause my display to default on next boot.

Any input welcome.

Richard.

2. Cookies

Cookies

In this post, a fellow suggests using Detonator Destroyer to remove old drivers that persist.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1054773753

You may also try removing the graphics card entirely (add/remove), power down, crack the case and unseat it. Wait a few minutes and reseat it and power the PC back up.

XP should detect it as new hardware and you could try installing the proper driver at that point.

3. RSM123

RSM123 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply,

As stated above this something I've puzzled over since I tried running games. I have almost identical PC with 98SE on - just waiting for a replacement mobo. Looks like I'll have to keep for internet use and the other for everything else.

Take Care.

Thanks again.

RSM.

4. prospect

prospect

Did ya check in the device manager to see how many cards were there. You could always remove them all, then do as Cookies suggested. But get rid of all the old drivers first. That would be your best bet.

5. RSM123

RSM123 Thread Starter

Hi Prospect,

Sorry - just saw your reply here.

Regarding Device Manager - if I click on Display Adapter, there is only one entry stating 'GeForce 440' which is what it should be. Furthermore if I right click > properties gives the latest drivers (45.23).

What I cannot understand is why then there are 3 'GeForce 440' cards that show up in the Hardware Wizard. Unless its because there are keys still in the registry. I don't know.

6. prospect

prospect

Yeah with the keys ya gotta be careful RSM. Did ya try and unstall it in the device manager, then reinstall it? Did ya see any question marks? Rollin Rog knows about the keys and what to look for.

7. RSM123

RSM123 Thread Starter

Have tried Detonator Destroyer - no luck. It indicated two files were removed but the nv4 entries were still in place after rebooting.

The keys I was referring to above were Registry Keys - I was wondering if there might be an entry in the Reg thats somehow causing the different drivers to be replaced on each boot up.

These are the entries from Search > Find Files / Folders together with the location and filesize :

c:\windows\system32 - 3,106kb

c:\mydrivers\end-23pz 3,106kb

c:\nvidia\winxp-2k\45.23 3,812kb

c:\windows\lastgood\system32 3,459kb

c:\windows\drivercache\38\sp1.cab 3413kb

c:\windows\system32\reinstallbackups\0009\driverfiles 3459kb

Can anyone tell me which one Windows loads / reads from when, for example a game is started ?

8. Cookies

Cookies

Belcarc will tell us more. Have you been there?? http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

3,413 kb are the system files -- leave them/it; but it'd be prudent to burn all to a single CDR (and note the path) in case you get into trouble. Cab files can be painful unless you know what you're doing.

Create a backup, or set a restore point and remove each one by one except the 3,414 kb -- save the cab files for last and reboot (and try gaming) after each one.

I'm going to attach 2 screenshots:

The first is a list of nv4_disp.dll files taken from an XP home OS with a GeForce4 MX graphics card; the 2nd with a standard off the shelf graphics card running XP pro. See the difference?

9. RSM123

RSM123 Thread Starter

Prospect & Cookies,

I think I've cracked it - it would appear to be faulty ram.

I had 2x256 in Dual Channel. On a whim I swapped them around and got long beeps. Booted with each individually and the one I believe good works in slots 1 and 3 solo.

Thanks for your input.

Glad somebody here loves me :eek:

Have a good day.

Richard:D

10. Cookies

Cookies

XP home nv4_disp.dll screenshot

Attached Files:

11. Cookies

Cookies

Off the shelf no special graphics card kinda screenshot :)

Attached Files:

12. Cookies

Cookies

Pokes RSM123 in the eye with a pointy stick :)

Kidding aside I'm glad you resolved it!

13. RSM123

RSM123 Thread Starter

Hey - that was my good eye :eek:

Still better than the kick the posterior I used to get on School Report Day :D

Thanks to both of you once again.

Richard 'Cyclops' Murphy.

14. Cookies

Cookies

ROFL!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!