1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP Home/SvcPk2 - How can I delete/remove SOME old System Restore points?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Old_Fart, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Old_Fart

Old_Fart Thread Starter

REFERENCE: MS Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2, fully-updated.

Okay. I've struggled for several (wasted) hours, but MS has made it impossible (or, extremely difficult) to:

1. Remove or Delete some (not all) of my previous "manually-entered" System Restore Points.

(Note for #1: MS offers only a single choice to remove old Restore Points, and that is to remove every one of them! That's absurd. I want to keep at least the last 3 Restore Points).

2. I want to find out where MS hid them on my C:\ drive.

(Note for #2: I have turned on 'show hidden files,' 'show system files,' and 'show complete path,' (in Windows Explorer options), but the lame Windows Search program finds nothing! While scanning my complete hard disk with my antivirus program, I saw the path (a couple of weeks ago) to where they were, but it scanned so quickly, I couldn't determine the exact folder path to the 'saved' restore points). I tried again today, but never saw the path info again. Geeesh!

The reason I want to do this is because my hard disk drive is low in available space, and those many backups are using way too much space for no good reason.

I even tried regedit and looked for "System Restore" and it wasn't any help to me. Of course, I do not want to remove things from the registry, manually. I looked there only to see if I could find the path to where the backups were being hidden.

Your expert help will be appreciated greatly!

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Windows XP SP2 isn't fully updated. SP3 has been out a long time.

Do not mess with system files by trying to manually locate them. If System Restore is consuming too much space, change the settings.

This looks like a good site with info on Windows XP System Restore. Restore points are automatically created and deleted all the time by Windows.

http://www.5starsupport.com/faq/xp-system-restore.htm

3. OVERLORDCHAOS

OVERLORDCHAOS

the best its to do this:
    1: when you are sure your pc works 100% right create a system restore point.
    2: go to the clean disk manager under accesories > system tools
    choose the C: disk and after the scan its done choose the 2 tab. choose delete all the old restore points.
    you will have the latest one (the one you will create before do this).
    and go to my pc (right click it) properties and in the tab system restore choose with the bar a smaller size.
    microsoft recognizes windows xp will never use more tan 5 gbs (unless you do every day a new system restore point witch will be stupid since you are not every day changing files or configs).
    so reduce the space to only use 5 gbs or less. i would say 3 gbs will give you some system restore points while conserving disk space.
    once the 3 gbs will be reached the system restore when it makes a new restore point will delete the oldest one to keep the 3 or 5 gbs limit.

4. Old_Fart

Old_Fart Thread Starter

-- OVERLORDCHAOS, you answered part of my questions; I think that will be enough for now. I'll do as you suggested. Thank you for your help!

I still haven't gotten an answer to my #2 question. I'd like to know how to find (and use Windows Explorer to merely view) the path just for my own curiosity.

-- DoubleHelix, I have deliberately avoided installing SP3. After reading the 'disclaimer' on it, I realized that I might lose access to specific programs that I have installed on my system. Re-installing them would be a nightmare for me.

When I said "Windows with SP2 is fully-updated", that's exactly what I meant. Windows has all the latest updates for itself and for SP2, which are offered by MS (but NOT SP3).

And, I don't consider "locating" where system files are as "messing with them."

Thank you both for replying. Much appreciated!!!

I still don't understand why MS won't allow users to eliminate specific, unwanted Restore Points! Oh, well. That's MS.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't know what disclaimer you're referring to. SP3 provides important security updates. It isn't going to require you to reinstall any programs.

Restore points are in the System Volume Information folder. Go nuts.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531

6. OVERLORDCHAOS

OVERLORDCHAOS

well the system restore its not meant to be touched by anyone.
    the system restore points are compressed with encrypted file names and scripts.
    you cannot delete manually the files because you will not know witch one is what restore point and you will not delete the restore point registry. in other words if you manually delete the last one and you try to restore it, you will end with an error and no restore.
    also its meant to be protected from malware thats why you cannot access the folder.
    if you really are up to do this (AND IN ANY WAY I RECOMMEND YOU TO DO IT)
    go to the folder options and uncheck "use the sharing wizard" (to get the advanced security options tab under file/folder properties)
    go to the system volume information folder
    in the users you will see that only SYSTEM has access to.
    choose add and type everyone.
    choose full control.
    accept it.
    repeat the steps with the folder inside called "_restore{xxxxxxxxxxxx.................
    you will see the folders with the restore points. if you are in luck, you will see something like a folder called RP01-02 etc.
    that goes from the first restore point to the latest one.
    if you have 15 restore points the number 1 its the oldest and the 15 the newest one.
    i teach you this so you dont damage the os tryng to.
    you can delete the folders under your own risk.
    you may have to change the security to delete the folder.
    and as i said UNDER any circunstance start to mess around those folders.
    here some screenshots from my windows xp mode on windows 7 (a virtual pc working with windows xp)
    (lol later i have an upload issue lol)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!