1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

winxp - ICS/firewall service can't start

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nomaan, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nomaan

nomaan Thread Starter

i had winxp sp2 firewall enabled, and somehow, in the past week, that thing got disabled, and now it won't start. i get a message saying that ics/firewall service can't start. i manually try doing that, and it still does't start

in CMD, i've tried net start sharedaccess and other commands, but get some error code 5. can't find on the web what that means.

also, my local network is not available any more, and i'm guessing this is related to the firewall issue. my internet, on the other hand is working fine.

i've done spyware scans, anti virus scans, hijack logs, and its all good.
    tried system restore. only time it works is when i am in safe mode (w/ networking)..

does anyone have any idea whats going on?

2. kimmer13

kimmer13

go to Start / Run and type services.msc and check that Windows Management Instrumentation and the items under it are set to "Automatic". if you change anything, you must restart windows.

3. nomaan

nomaan Thread Starter

hmm.. didn't update. the problem is still there. i feel like just formatting this computer.

4. *PostMaster*

*PostMaster*

This happens because your running another firewall. Do you have norton and Zonealarm or anything esle that might be a firewall other then a router? This is the main reason why it will shut it self down because of conflicks, sometimes it stays on when running another firewall but it really causes problems.

This is true when running a anti Virus which it will prompt you what to do when you are running another anti virus.

5. *PostMaster*

*PostMaster*

Before I go and you don't have another firewall, goto the the contorl panel and click on the firewall icon, then goto the Advance tab on top there and make sure your Local Area connection is checked and then try.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/304221

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice