WinXP ICS through WiFi

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Drack

I want to configure my Windows XP x64 laptop to act as a wireless access point

The card connecting to the internet will be a 10/100/1000 ethernet card connected to a wired router.

The conneciton I'm sharing through is its wifi card.

In a nutshell, I want to share my laptop's connection as if it were an access point, which I will then use to connect my Nintendo DS to so I can connect to nintendo's WFC service.

I want to WEP secure the shared connection as well (the DS can't handle WPA).

How would I configure the laptop to act as an AP?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
That's going to depend on the capabilities of the laptop wireless adapter. Care to share the make/model of the equipment in question with us? :)

Drack

Sure thing.

The laptop is an Acer Ferrari 4005.

The wifi card in it is a Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter. Unfortunately Acer''s specifications and driver downloads don't go any more specific than that, though the driver it's using is BCMWL564.SYS

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
You should be able to setup and Ad-Hoc network between the two if both wireless cards support that feature but I don't think you will have any WEP encryption that way.

I always chose to buy a wireless router or access point in these cases.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online