1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Winxp install.. computer shutsdown...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Diviance, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Diviance

Diviance Thread Starter

While trying to install windows xp, it gets to the point where it says "Starting Windows XP" in the very very beginning of the install, before selecting the drive to install it in and everything. Once it reaches this point, the computer "shuts down" and the system speaker emits a strange error noise.

Motherboard: Abit KD7A
    HD: Maxtor 60 gig hd
    Video: GeForce FX 5200
    CPU: Athlon XP 2600
    RAM: 512mb DDR pc3200

All are new, just purchased. Anyone have any idea why?

2. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan

hmm, dosen't matter as long as the CD isn't scratched it isn't your problem take it all back to the store and make a warranty claim

3. RonK

RonK

A few questions:
    Is this a new built computer?
    From what you describe it almost sounds like the cpu may be overheating.

4. Diviance

Diviance Thread Starter

yeah, new built. I will most likely just take back the parts and get a trade in for new parts, hehe.

as for the cpu overheating, i dont think so, but you never know...

oh, its not the CD, the cd is fine (used to install windows xp on another few computers).

oh, also, the error noise sounds almost like an ambulance siren from a toy ambulance.

5. RonK

RonK

The ambulance siren indicates cpu overheating. Recheck the heatsink. If it's an amd cpu there is only 1 way the heatsink will fit properly. Make sure you have it so it sits perfecly flat.

6. Diviance

Diviance Thread Starter

how oddly amusing... stupid square heatsink threw me off. you are right, it was overheating... *sigh* i feel like such a damned moron, haha.

7. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan

you can also get the psyco siren noise from a variety of other hardware problems. e.g. faulty RAM, missing fans/ faulty fan sensors, setting the wrong pins on mobo's all matter of things, one way to work out what is up is the process of elimination. remove everything you don't really need to boot. e.g. HD, ram, sound cards, cd reader etc. till you have just a floppy drive a video out of some descrption a keyboard, a cpu and power (and a fan. ) stick in a win98 boot disk or even menuetOS if you feel adventuerOS and see if it still beeps, then add things untill it beeps again if it dosen't. Personally I wouldn't bother just take it back and demand replacement parts. you may get charged for returning non-faulty parts though so might be a good idea to work out what is broken first.

try the maxtor powermax tools disk to check the HD
    don't know how you would test ram though...

8. RonK

RonK

Diviance - Where you successfull installing the OS ?

9. Diviance

Diviance Thread Starter

Yeah, i was :) Thanks

10. Squeeker

Squeeker

I have almost the exact problem without the screeching from the speakers. PSU is Antec 430, should be enough. Tried a clean install as well as an upgrade. Same result. Program goes into infinite re-boot at the starting windows screen. I have the latest Bios and drivers from ATI. This thing is driving me nuts. System runs win 2k just fine. Fix anyone??

11. RonK

RonK

First thing to try is to remove all pci cards except the video card and make sure no usb devices are connected. Also if this does not allow the installation to continue, try with just 1 stick of memory.
    Some incompatible hardware might be causing the problem.
    Do you have more than 1 hard drive installed ?

12. Squeeker

Squeeker

I didn't mean to post to this thread. Started a new one:
    http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=173802&goto=newpost . No pci cards installed. Almost everything I have (keyboard, mouse, printer) is usb running through a powered hub. I have tried inst. with one stick of ram. I have 2 hd now but I have tried one at a time also, No luck.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173471

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice