1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP internet network connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by admanis, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. admanis

admanis Thread Starter

Hope help is out there!
    I am trying to network two window XP machines using crossover cat5 cables so far so good. I can see the host machine on the client and vice-versa.

The problem is getting online with the client machine. I have installed ics and followed microsoft's suggestions on installation but cannot get it to work.

I use a usb adsl modem and have a nic installed in each machine. I have seen on these forum pages that I may need to install another nic in the host machine...I don't see what good that will do as my adsl modem is connected to the usb.

Does anyone know what I may be doing wrong? Is there a way to go about fixing this problem?

2. omegax

omegax

My suggestion, and mose peoples would probably be, get a DSL/Cable router... makes things SOO much easier. Internet Sharing works hardly half the time, and it's such a pain, while a router plugs directly to your modem, and if you get a 4 port router, you'd plug your computers directly to it, and walla.. they usually have DHCP built in also, which makes things even easier. Belkin makes a nice one, and it's only about $60 $70 bucks.. not much to ease the pain. Hope this helps

-Omega-

3. Del

Del

Since you are using a USB modem, you only need one NIC in each machine. A second NIC in the host would not accomplish anything since you use USB. It would be much easier and more reliable with an ethernet modem and a router, plus the router would act as a hardware firewall and add some security.
    Someone here may be able to help with ICS, I tried it once and even the brains at Microsoft (they called back 3 times), couldn't get it working with cable modem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115543

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice