WinXP Keeps Rebooting

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bratt

Hi Guys,

I haven't had to call on you for quite a while...Got new computer 1 year ago and no problems with it really love it... Intel, Celeron, 1,70 GHz, 256 MBRam. 85% free WinXP Home Edition Svc Pack 2.

A few days ago it started shuttin down and rebooting, after it's been on a couple hours it will do this. So I gave it a good cleaning to remove all the dust, the fans were covered with dust. It stopped for shutting down for 1 day then it started doing it again...I am very good about virus checking, spyware checking, clearing out useless files, run disk clean frequently. I do play a lot of games online, normally java games and I noticed it shuts down mostly when I am playing games. I do have "Speed up My Pc" which frees up ram nicely so I am baffled...Any suggestions?

Lora Risso

Heck I might not need a computer...might just need a boat if it don't stop raining here

etaf

Wayne
could be a corrupt driver - what isthe CPU temp like?

goto
control panel>
system>
advanced tab>
startup and recovery - settings>
under the title - system failure
untick - automatically restart

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320299

now when it crashes - it willnot restart and the blue screen should stay on the screen
post the info on the screen
it will give the errorcodes and a filename, if caused by a driver.

post as much info - stop code and any filename

stop codes
http://www.aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
-------------------------------------

you may find some info in the event viewer - look for entries at time of restart
control panel>
admin tools>
event viewer>
------------------------------------------

bratt

hi,
What do you mean cpu "temp" Right now i am using 11%, nothing says "temperature" just monitors usage, and I did remove auto restart when it shut down last time. the blue screen only says "Celeron" with a wiring grapic. I'll check the event viewer and let you know, I checked yesterday but nothing.
tks
Lora

etaf

Wayne
you may have had a utility with the pC that monitors various parts of the PC
1) the voltages and the temperature.
I wonder if you have a voltage going over tolerance or over temp....

the reason I thought temp was because of the comment about playing games.

but it could also be a sound or video driver - it may be worth updating those anyway.

you may need to eun a program like belarc { www.belarc.com } to identify the sound and video devices

post back

bratt

etaf said:

but it could also be a sound or video driver - it may be worth updating those anyway.

you may need to eun a program like belarc { www.belarc.com } to identify the sound and video devices

post back
I checked my alerts and nothing about the shutdowns...it shows regular system shut down and start ups when it reboots but nothing abnormal. So I ran out last night and bought a real good surge protector I think that might be the cause, and so far it hasn't done it, But I haven't played any games yet. We life in an 80 year old farm house electrical isn't what it should be, technology didn't call for more than 1 outlet per room back then lol, that seems crazy to us these days I also downloaded that program from Belarc so I will let you know. Thank you

Do you happen to have an iPod plugged in when you are rebooting? Before I updated my iPod softwared & firmware, my XP would reboot constantly when I had my iPod plugged in. Just a thought...

bratt

no I don't have an iPod, but I think that the outlet or how I had everything hooked (basically to a very out of date surge protector) is the culprit, along with the storms we're having here in calif.
Thanks
Lora

bratt

etaf said:

post back
Hi Etaf,

Computer finally would shut down at start up either before Windows loaded or shortly after. Check disk came on and said it had to be checked, which found quite a few volume and indexing errors, which it fixed, Several Content index entries were wrong? also found free space marked as allocated in master file table and in volume bitmap table.
Check disk fixed the errors and no problem since. How does this happen so I can be aware of it?
Lora

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online