Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

winxp not showing network properties

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Nick Scott 
#1 ·
Have three win xp machines on lan will search and find all three but while two will show the lan network properties, one wont . I need the properties of the netcard to set tcp/ip and dns .
have tried uninstalling the netcard no help! uninstalled xp networking components no help.
any help please Regards Alan G

#2 ·
When you say it won't open, what are you referring to exactly. I take it you've gone to Control Panel, (change to classic view) then double-click on Network connections, to open it. Then what?

Also what version of XP are we dealing with?

#3 ·
Its win xp home user and all three were showing the properties in my network right click the Local area conection go properties and the tcp and file print share where the now on one of the three its not.
the Local erea connection does not show.
Two of us have spent 2 hours with veiws etc trying to get this back to no-avail.
IT WAS THERE BECAUSE i SET ALL THREE TO TCP/IP 192.168 .0.ETC
and it still comes up on the lan on the other machines.
regards Alan G

#4 ·
Are you logged on to XP with an account that has administrator rights on the system? You won't be able to access network properties unless you are.

Are you saying that the LAN connection doesn't show up at all, or that when you double-click on it nothing happens? What view are you using. I always find that view / details gives the most useful information for troubleshooting

If it shows at all try right-clicking and choosing properties, or if that fails, click on it to select and then in the left panel choose repair this connection.

#5 ·
I'm on as administrator I have full rights, I have tried all Views I am showing all files, then go view my connections the lan connection will not show ie: realtec lan connection. so I cannot rightclick and get the properties.

This is not a problem on the othe two xp machines and the troublsome one is still connected and showing in computers near me on those two.
This machine had norton anti virus two thousand we have uninstalled but there are bits left I have end task stoped those.
regards Alan G

#6 ·
So basically you need to force the connection to show up in Network connections again as its gone AWOL, even though you know that its working right?

Try this. Go to Control Panel / System / hardware / device manager. Right -click the adapter and choose scan for hardware changes. That may force the OS to re-register it as a network connection.

If that doesn't work, I would say that its time to remove the network card in device maneger and reinstall it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.