1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

winxp partition killed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AvvY, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AvvY

AvvY Thread Starter

I am running WinXP home SP2 on my primary partition, Fedora 3 on another partition and have a linux swap partition.

I needed to create another partition for shared data. So i went into Partition Magic and organised to create a 10gb fat32 partition. I rebooted to windows and the PM batch file started to run, but it stoped doing anything after some time. I concluded that nothing was happening and that it must have failed. So I rebooted via the reset button. Now when I got to boot into Winxp via the Grub bootloader, the winxp starting screen loads and then the comp reboots. I cant boot into safe mode either. From what the PM batchfile said it was doing when it stoped responding was just checking the data - it hadnt even started partitioning yet - at least thats from what the display said.

I need to figure out how to get into windows and fix the partition. i tried using a partition magic rescue disc I made a while back but it came up with errors and wouldnt load.

I can use my linux fine - hence how I can send this. - i dont know linux very well so i wouldnt know what what program to use in it to try and solve it via this. I cant find any of my boot discs for windows around so I'm not sure...

I really need help soonish on this. Thanx,

Late,

2. Sadan01

Sadan01

Seems to me that if the XP splash screen loads up, at least some of the XP startup files are still in place.

Have you tried a WinXP repair from the WinXP boot disks or CDROM?

I guess if I was in that situation, in the case that I had other O/S's on the machine, I would probably do an in-place re-installation of Windows XP.

See this link for more information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try running chkdsk from the Recovery Console---it saved my partition once when PM quit in the middle of a batch.

You might also try this boot floppy or CD to attempt a repair of any damaged partitions

Partition Repair--->

[​IMG] <--(Bootable floppy image)[​IMG] <--(Bootable CD image)

Some people like this one for repairing partitions, too:

http://users.adelphia.net/~abraxas/dl/partfix.exe

4. AvvY

AvvY Thread Starter

I did try the WinXP recovery - forgot about all that,
    I ran a chkdsk and a diskpart and nothing showed up, i got told there were one or more unrecoverable problems...

I'm now testing out the boot floppys you suggested.

Late,

5. AvvY

AvvY Thread Starter

Ok here are the results from using the suggested boot discs:
    The first one you suggested: APR.exe,
    it showed my NTFS winxp partition, and all the folders under it - thus all my data must still be there.
    It showed my linux ext2 and swap partitions as "Unallocated" and another piece of Unallocated space which was about 2.4MB big - probably has something to do with the failed PM batch partition job...

I then tried the second disc: partfix.exe
    It found all my partitions:
    of the NTFS one,
    "Structure: OK"

"Boot sector
    Backup boot sector
    Sectors are not identical"
    - what does this mean?

I figure somehow my data must be accesable, because the first disc showed it all. Even if I have to reinstall and reformat that primary partition, is there anyway to extract my data?

Oh and I can't boot into Linux anymore, it says it shut down messily and throws me to command lines to run a recovery, which I dunno what to do with... So I'm not doing too well! Its ok, I'm not freaking out just yet. I just need to get my files back - About 40-70GB worth (too much to back up, even if I should have... I'll get a second HDD for this in the future).

Late,

6. AvvY

AvvY Thread Starter

I just read through the Partition Recovery PDF guide. It appears to only discuss fixing the MBR. I wonder if this is really my problem... I have GRUB loaded so I can/could boot either WindowsXP or Fedora Core 3. And that loads fine... I couldnt see anywhere in their documentation as to "how to recover a partition". Could you please advice on how I go about doing so. thanx again,

Late,

7. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Couple of handy items. Thanks!

The .ISO is handy to put on a Mini-CD (Same size as a floppy disk) to carry with you.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

I don't really know what to add to the help file, if you have the complete one (which I believe I was sure to put in). The process of recovering partitions and logical drives is shown graphically here:

http://www.partition-recovery.com/screen.htm

Once you find the information on the lost partitions, you then need to save the information back to the drive.

"Boot sector
    Backup boot sector
    Sectors are not identical"
    Not sure what this means. Did you make a backup of the boot sector with the program? Though it's hard to advise without actually being there, if there is a way of saving your current boot sector and using the backup, I'd try that.

9. AvvY

AvvY Thread Starter

Thanx Elvandil,

I had a look at the link you gave to the screen shots - but I dont get any of it with my PC. I have the C: Logical drive listed at the top with all its data. although there is an unallocated bit, which is about 2.4mb in size, which when you do a search pulls up nothing - I think this is just spare space which was taken from the C: logical as part of creating a new partition which failed. I dont care about my linux instilation anymore because i cant even load into that because I dont understand the root comands, so should I just run a win98 or winxp bootdisc/cd and run fix /mbr?

Thanx,

Late,

10. AvvY

AvvY Thread Starter

I just had another thought,

When I use GRUB to boot into WinXP or use a bootdisc I have which bypasses GRUB to load winXp, i still get to a WinXP loading page (the first screen you see of winxp when it loads with the status bar in the middle) and that last for a few seconds before it reboots. So even if I fixed the MBR... would that do anything? im also thinking it could be that the PM batch file is still in the windows temp file and could be causing problems, or even the boot.ini file could have some problems in it because of this... what do you think? are these fixable?

Late,

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

12. AvvY

AvvY Thread Starter

Thanx for that, i booted up with it and selected my NTFS partition, and this is what it said:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [opperating system]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS= "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"

Does this look normal?
    Is there anything I can do to modify this so make things boot? im curious as to what the "timeout=30" bit means... I have decided that i dont think there is much I can do bar reformating, but i also thought i'd take the pc to my local pc store and see if they can break into it for me.
    But if you have any suggestions first I'm very willing to try! thanx for ur help so far =)

Late,

13. AvvY

AvvY Thread Starter

I did a little hunting...
    i found this: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000492.htm
    it says that the timout=30 is just for how long it takes for winxp to decide to boot up.
    i also found a few extra attributes that i could add that may help such as-
    /debug Cuases the kernel debugging to be enabled.
    - would this be worth a try?...

I dont want to cause more problems tho, so is it best to leave it be until i can get my computer shop to look at it? surely they are able to do these kinds of recoverys?

Late,

14. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

This is what mine looks like, (With SP2 and the Recovery Console):

[boot loader]
    timeout=5
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

First of all you have [opperating system] with 2 "p"s , instead of [operating systems]

/noexecute=optin /fastdetect , is also missing.

This last line is what you see when the Recovery Console is installed ON the hard-drive.

C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Best to look at another XP Home Edition and see what the BOOT.INI file looks like.

Here is one:

[boot loader]
    timeout=5
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partitions(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

So I would try that first of all.

15. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

To alter the timeout, go to Control panel, System, Advanced, Start Up and Recovery and change the top timer from 30 seconds to 5 seconds.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!