1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP Pro Boot disks

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by blackstar, Aug 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackstar

blackstar Thread Starter

OK, I was/am having problems getting windows to start up on my desktop PC.

I am currently using a friends laptop..I made the 6 FLOPPY bootdisks from the microsoft download site..cuz i have no CD drive (working anyway) on my PC,
    but in the text about the bootdisks it says something about "You will need the Windows CD" to complete setup....

ARRGH! I have no working CD drive..thats why i needed floppies in the first place!!
    So, Im wary of beginning the boot process now, as i cannot use the CD..
    will it damage or change my files//windows XP that i had previously working on there??
    Is there a way i can get a downloadable version of whatever is on the CD that is needed to complete setup?

what should i do..just try it without being able to use the CD??
    will it screw up my computer more????

HELLP PLEASE??!! :(

2. Jamescol

Jamescol

The boot disks will only get the Windows process installation started. If your objective is to repair your Windows installation, you will need the CD.

If you can use another computer to copy the files to a network you can access, you can run the installation from there.

Alternately, you might want to post more details on the problem you're having with getting Windows to start. Often it is just a corrupted driver that you can replace with a floppy disk.

James

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/266841

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice