1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP Pro: BSOD after logon. Same with Safe Mode. Is there any way back? :(

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Audity01, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Audity01

Audity01 Thread Starter

1st post :eek:

So I spent all day today fixing my Sister's PC (Windows XP Pro, SP2) which was riddled with every nasty piece of #!?$ under the sun. I did a repair install (necessary, don't ask), cleared all the nasty stuff off and rebooted with no problems.

I then decide to do a clean up. I fear this is where something went 'fatally' wrong. I did a registry clean with TuneUp Utilities 2008, reinstalled the audio driver (C-Media AC97), used ATF File Cleaner to delete unecessary files, deleted Windows Update backups, fixed several HiJackThis entries, removed a few BHO's with Toolbar Cop and shut down the PC. I never checked to see if it would boot back up though, and when my Sister got home she told me there was a problem. A BSOD appeared after typing in the password at the Windows User Logon screen.

Here is the technical information: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x80550CAD, 0xF5D69968, 0x00000000) Then it says "Dumping physical memory".

This also happens when both "Safe Mode" and "Last Known Good Confiuration" are selected. Frankly, I'm stuck for ideas. Without safe mode how can this problem be approached? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

-AudiTy =o

2. rodeognome

rodeognome

This BSOD could have been caused by spyware or by your cleanup.

Either way when you seem to have a BSOD caused by software corruption (i.e corruption of Win XP) you will probably be best off doing a clean reinstall of Windows. (Backup everything important of course)

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Try another repair reinstall.

Or if you want to invest some time, create a UBCD4Win CD and see what you can do with that. You should at the very least be able to boot with one and recover data before a clean install.

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

If you go this route -- don't ignore the author's advice to copy the setup files to the hard drive for the build process rather than run it straight from the CD.

4. rodeognome

rodeognome

Rollin, what tools on the UBCD4Win can help with BSOD's?

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It depends on the type of BSOD.

You can run chkdsk from it, restore a registry -- even edit the registry remotely. You can disable a service if you know what you are doing.

It includes the "recovery console" as an option on its own boot menu, so anything you can do from that, you can do from that bootdisk.

It has a lot of bells and whistles. Take a look at the Tools list:

http://www.ubcd4win.com/contents.htm

http://www.ubcd4win.com/screen.htm

I can't say that I am intimately familiar with it, since I only just built mine a few days ago. But it was very impressive.

I did do some registry diving to see what could be done with its registry tools.

6. Audity01

Audity01 Thread Starter

A clean install is not an option. Firstly, I can't even boot into safe mode to back up any important files, secondly, it's not my computer so I would need to certainly backup files before doing a clean install.

7. Audity01

Audity01 Thread Starter

I'm wondering whether installing SP2 on a machine running SP1 have caused this BSOD?

I'm looking into the UBCD4Win option now. Can I access files on the HDD and execute commands? For example, will I be able to restore registry backups saved on the HDD even though I can't boot into Windows? And bearing this in mind, how would I copy the setup files to the hard drive without the ability to log on?

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I doubt it. You have a drive master boot record or partition corruption issue I think.

Normally UBCD should be able to "mount" the drive so that you can access it. However if you cannot even get the drive recognized for the recovery console to operate, this might not be the case.

Restoring a registry is a tricky affair, but if you can access the drive with UBCD you can essentially copy system hives from one of the system volume restore\\snapshot archives to the C:\windows\system32\config folder, per part 2 of the instructions here:

http://attachments.techguy.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=62075

To make the copy you should follow the instructions exactly as given in parts 2 and 3 of those instructions -- because they need to be renamed as part of the copy process.

Note; if you can access the recovery console from an XP CD, you do not need to try UBCD, you can follow those instructions exactly as given starting with Part 1.

9. Audity01

Audity01 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Rog.

Ok, I just completed part one successfully. But I'm unsure, regarding part 2, as to how to use the UBCDWin because I can't find anything on the UBCD website giving inscrutions regarding how to use the CD once you've built it. I would appreciate your input here Rog!

Thanks

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

edit

Part 1 of what? The "crashed" doc, or creating UBCD4win? Has the ISO been burned successfully? Have you tried booting with the UBCD4win CD?

If you have completed part 1 of the "crashed" doc successfully try rebooting the computer normally.

Now you will not have returned to the point at which you left it, but this typically, if done correctly, gets you back into Windows.

Then you must follow the rest of the drill if you want to avoid reinstalling all your programs. Be advised that if you use the System Restore archive -- you may be restoring infected files. So consider the choices.

You don't have to use the UBCD for this -- you should be able to work from within Windows.

11. Audity01

Audity01 Thread Starter

Yes I am referring to the "Windows XP Crashed" article. In part 2 it assumes you can access Windows, but after completing part 1 and rebooting I still get the BSOD. So I'm ready to use UBCD4Win but I don't know exactly what I'm doing with it once it's booted up.

Will it just give a menu of options? How do all these applications and tools work without being logged onto windows? I can't find any information regarding what to do with the UBCD4Win once I have built it.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I think I would be suspicious of the memory at this point. UBCD4win has Memtest built in -- I would run that first off, especially if the BSOD is the same as the original.

Also, assuming you were using the Recovery Console to do what you did, try these commands from the recovery console:

fixboot

fixmbr

chkdsk /r

and see what happens

Attached Files:

13. Audity01

Audity01 Thread Starter

Ok Rog, I tried everything you said with no joy. Same old BSOD.

For some reason, my UBCD is in German... how do I change the language?

Because the PC boots, but just can't login, AND I've done a repair install, I'm assuming it's either a software conflict (maybe Kerio Personal Firewall, which always shows the splash screen on login?) or something to do with the registry.

Firstly, how would I uninstall Kerio using UBCD?

Secondly, is there any way to access registry backups made by TuneUp Utilities and restore them if I don't know the exact location? Like, is there a capability to browse files on the HDD?

Thanks for your help so far.

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Wow, I don't remember when I created it whether there was an option to change the language. There usually is for these kind of things. I do remember that I just followed the defaults.

If you did that, it might have been the site you downloaded the setup from.

I chose "CNET" for mine; I think the first mirror on the list provided is a German one at that.

http://www.ubcd4win.com/downloads.htm

>> Were you able to run the memory test from UBCD? No language issue for that really.

I don't know how Tuneup utilities stores its backups, sorry -- but yes you can browse files on the HD from the bootdisk.

Also are you seeing a driver file mentioned in those blue screens?

And I presume this BSOD still occurs when you try a Safe Mode boot, even after the "repair reinstall"?

15. Audity01

Audity01 Thread Starter

Hmm wierd. I can't remember where I downloaded the .exe from. But yes, I ran the memory test with no problems.

After doing a bit of research I found some info on the error code:

So, considering I installed a new audio driver just before the BSOD (and it could have easily been the wrong version) I'm thinking this could be the culprit.

My question now is, how would I uninstall the audio driver using UBCD?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701747

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice