1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXp Pro sudden reboot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by borchefski, Nov 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. borchefski

borchefski Thread Starter

I have just recently, within the past few weeks, installed WinXP Pro on my system. After a week or two, it started to automatically shutdown 2 to 4 times a day, whether in use or not. It does it without command, and reboots onto the login screen, just like a normal reboot. My system is powerful and new enough to handle the OS. What could it be?? Software? Hardware? :confused:

2. derrekday

derrekday

Hey,
    Here is something you can do, it won't fix your problem, but instead of you not knowing what happened this will inform you of why it is crashing.
    With 2000 and XP they cleverly hid the Blue screen of death to make people thing they fixed those problems.
    Right click on the 'my computer' icon and select properties, then the advanced tab, then the startup and recovery button near the bottom. Here you can modify if XP will automatically reboot on an error. It won't fix the problem, but you will see the blue screen of death and it will give you the codes of the error.
    The best thing you can do is when XP starts up again it gives you a box that says it just recovered from a serious error and that you should send in an error report and it will connect you and send it, do this, so microsoft can try to get a fix in SP 1 when it comes out.
    Also check your event viewer under start, control panel, administrative tools, event viewer. Then go to the file menu and open the system log, the look at the errors and it may let you know what the problem is, if it may be a program related error or what.
    Hope this helps a little,
    derrek

3. $teve

$teve

borchefski........i had a very similar problem a while back,re-boots and lockups at random.....i tried every thing i knew to fix it.....you name it,i did it,to no avail.......the last thing i checked was my ram.......i took each stick out one at a time,re-booting after each one......BINGO!....one faulty ram stick.......10 seconds to fix.
    just a thought.
    good luck.:rolleyes:

4. borchefski

borchefski Thread Starter

well, I checked out system log, and the main error had to do with device\harddisk0\D.

something to do with my harddisk. hmmmmm:confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58498

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice