1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP pro will not boot up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Kaliuna, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kaliuna

Kaliuna Thread Starter

I have a compaq EVO610c /w WinXP pro. It locked up, so I powered it down and when I try to boot up the machine a screen comes up saying that Windows apologizes for any inconvenience and it cannot start up successfully. It gives me a list of startup options and I've tried everyone of them, but it just restarts itself and goes back to this black screen. When I choose "last known good configuration" or "Start normally", the Windows XP splash screen comes up for a second and then a quick flash of a blue screen, then it restarts again. Does anyone know how to fix this problem. Any help would be greatly appericated. Thank you.

2. Dan O

Dan O

Try booting with the XP CD and choose Repair option, which is several screens into the SETUP Install. If asked for a administrative password, enter it, otherwise just hit enter.

When you get to the prompt type bootcfg /rebuild and hit enter. Make sure to leave a space between bootcfg and the /.

3. Kaliuna

Kaliuna Thread Starter

Hi Dan O, Thanks for your help on this. My Compaq didn't come with an XP CD, but it did come with 3 recovery disks. I was able to create a bootable floppy disk set. After the 6 disks load, should I try the rebuild option or new installation? Without the XP CD, I'm pretty much sunk, huh' Let me know. Thanks

4. Kaliuna

Kaliuna Thread Starter

Hi Dan O, I tried to use that rebuild option after loading the boot disk set. I got a blue screen error stating that an error occured.

The Technical information shows:
    ***STOP 0x00000024 (0x001902F8,0XF89B9704,0XF89B9404,0XF81C7411)

*** ntfs.sys - Address F81C7411 base at F8159000, Datestamp 3B7DC5D0

This doesn't look to good. Thanks again

5. 0tbyn8r

0tbyn8r

Hi Kaliuna
    Just new here but hope this helps.
    From M$ support site -

Stop 0x00000024 or NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
    The Stop 0x24 message indicates that a problem occurred within Ntfs.sys, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. A similar Stop message, 0x23, exists for the file allocation table (FAT16 or FAT32) file systems.

To test hard disk or volume integrity

Method 1:

In the Run dialog box, in the Open box type:
    cmd

Start the Chkdsk tool, which detects and attempts to resolve file system structural corruption. At the command prompt type:
    chkdsk drive: /f

Method 2:

Double-click My Computer, and then select the hard disk you want to check.
    On the File menu, click Properties.
    Click the Tools tab.
    In the Error-checking box, click Check Now.
    In Check disk options, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box. You can also select the Automatically fix file system errors check box.

If you want to read the full article below is the link -

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prmd_stp_swhw.asp

6. Dan O

Dan O

Kaliuna,

No you need the XP CD. Have you contact Compaq support as they may have a few tricks up their sleeves? As they include a hidden Diagnostic parition on the hard drive that may have something in it. They usually also include a Restore CD with a PC, which you may be forced to use. But be careful using it as it may overlay your data that's on the hard drive. Hopefully you have backed up your data on another device, such as floppy or ZIP drive. But I wish I had a real answer for you.

7. Kaliuna

Kaliuna Thread Starter

I have the restore CDs that came with the laptop, but they don't seem to work to well. I do have an XP disk for my home PC. Will that work?

8. Dan O

Dan O

No you need the XP PRO CD, sorry.

What problems have you had using the Compaq Restore CD?

9. Kaliuna

Kaliuna Thread Starter

I'm using the XP boot disk set and the first of three restore disks. I'll choose the XP setup and it asks for an XP install disk. It doesn't recognize the restore disk. If I choose the repair option, it gives me ntfs error and locks up the machine. I have an XP pro disk for my home PC, could I use that?

10. Dan O

Dan O

No you need the XP PRO CD.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118797

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice