1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[WinXP] RAID driver issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hyungry, Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hyungry

hyungry Thread Starter

Hi, recently I've been having some problems with my computer so I decided to give it a reformat. Up to this point I used to leave my computer at BestBuy to get things done because quite frankly I don't know squat about computers. But this time around I wanted to learn my way around the advanced aspects of computer maintenance, so I decided to do it myself.

At first I had to learn what BIOS is and how to make my computer boot from CD rom. No biggie, didn't take me too long. But when it got to the actual installation part I got a message that read something like "hard disk not detected." I gave it another try before searching the net again for an answer. I found one case in a different tech forum that was similar to mine, and most of the replies suggested that he either needed a fresh RAID driver install or reinstall in a different driver mode. After fiddling around on Dell's support page for a bit with the help of a very, very kind person I met online I finally made a RAID driver disk and gave the whole thing ANOTHER try. No dice, it still couldn't detect the hard disk even after the drivers were installed.

So I simply decided to try the whole thing in different driver mode and I'm afraid this is what sealed my fate. I was able to fdisk in "RAID autodetect / ATA" mode (it was originally set to "RAID autodetect / AHCI" mode) and install a new copy of Windows - except I can't install any drivers necessary to run the computer or go on the net.

So... what now?

--UPDATE--

It seems like my hard disk is named E: instead of C: and none of the installation files are redirecting the target to E: drive. I guess I can change it every time I install something... but what I'm worried about is whether it's acceptable or cause some problems in the long run.

PC specs:
    Dell Dimension 8400
    Windows XP

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/664887

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice