1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP re-install is hanging up half way through

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hank4d, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hank4d

hank4d Thread Starter

I've never had this problem before. A buddy of mine has an Intel Celeron processor with 512M of memory, and a wireless mouse. A couple of weeks ago he lost his cable internet connection. When I took a look at it, I was unable to re-establish connection, even after completely deleting all history files and cookies (often the culprit). The connection is good because I was able to restore his cable link to his laptop (which had a similar problem). We finally decided he needed to reformat and then re-install Windows XP (Home Edition).
    I went into the BIOS to change the boot sequence to CD, and put in the disk. In Setup, I completely deleted the old partition, created a new one, and windows successfully formatted it. We can get past the Regional setup, and enter the license number, and everything seems to be loading fine, until it gets to 'Network Install', where it gets about halfway through and then stops.
    Cable is disconnected, and there is no LAN to worry about. It's a standalone computer. We've tried getting past that point 5 or 6 times, but it just won't go. It ran Windows XP just fine before, so we have no idea why it won't re-install.
    Does anyone have any advice???

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591672

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice