1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP Repair problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wahlroot, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wahlroot

wahlroot Thread Starter

Three different times I have attempted to repair (install over WinXP). Each time it would go part way and stop, screen goes black, and it reboots. Each time it goes back to the same place, and starts over. It seems to load some things. I think it would go on forever if I did not turn off the power. Going into Safe Mode does not work. I heard from my daughter today, and her computer is doing the same thing. I have my Xp on a separate partition, and can blow it away and, reload it. My daughter does not. Can anyone tell me what she can do to fix this problem.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When I have a problem like this the first thing I do is check the hardware. Download and run a memory tester; it runs from a floppy so there is no need for an os to be loaded. Next download and run the hd mgf's utility for checking the drive. If both checkout ok, then remove everything except for one hd, one cdrom, video card, ram, and floppy. Now do the install. Add in cards, printers, etc after the os is loaded.

3. wahlroot

wahlroot Thread Starter

Checked RAM with Simmtester, and HD withWestern Digital. Both passed. Removed Modem, Printer, and disconnected CD burner. No help. Reconnected CD burner and disconnected CD-ROM. No help. Everything else is part of motherboard. Both computers are Compaq model 7478, and the same age.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Rather than repair, have you tried to do a parallel install? You would install to another folder such as windows1. This would be a clean install and allow you to copy files that are needed. Once this is complete, then delete all partition [unless you have one of those compaqs that keep bios info on a hidden part of the hd] and clean install.

Is this a full version of xp or one of those recovery disks?

5. MINz

MINz

Windows XP Repair

Try following the steps in this guide. It has helped me many times.

MINz

6. wahlroot

wahlroot Thread Starter

crjdriver The XP discs are full. The parallel install might work if my daughter had not allready tried a repair and is experiencing stop, reboot, stop reboot etc. It seems the only way to get out of this is to poweroff. Startup goes back to the same place.
    MINz The same applies to Windows XP Repair. It might work the next time,
    but she can not get it started.

7. MINz

MINz

The repair guide I posted is for when you can't boot into XP at all. It starts off by using the recovery console. You should check it out.

MINz

8. wahlroot

wahlroot Thread Starter

MINz I talked to my daughter, and she is sending her computer to her son. I e-mailed him the web address that you recommended. Will see what happens there. I loaded my WinXP CD to a file on my backup partition. I can reach this from my Win98 partition. Can I start this from there, and how would I do that. I heard from someplace it is in file folder 1386. Do not know if this is correct, or where to look in there. A lot of stuff in there.

9. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

thats i386.

10. wahlroot

wahlroot Thread Starter

OK I will buy i386, now what do I do.

11. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

No no no. I meant, the folder you were talking about is "i386"

12. wahlroot

wahlroot Thread Starter

OK i386, and I found setup .exe which I think must be the one.

13. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Ok. Good.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222075

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice