1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP Repair Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wahlroot, May 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wahlroot

wahlroot Thread Starter

Three different times I have attempted to repair (install over WinXP). Each time it would go part way and stop, screen goes black, and it reboots. Each time it goes back to the same place, and starts over. It seems to load some things. I think it would go on forever if I did not turn off the power. Going into Safe Mode does not work. I heard from my daughter today, and her computer is doing the same thing. I have my Xp on a separate partition, and can blow it away and, reload it. My daughter does not. Can anyone tell me what she can do to fix this problem.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It may well be a problem with a vdeo driver. They seem to be the main culprits in a lot of lock-up situations. But it is even more likely that it is some driver if not the video.

I'd start by getting into the Recovery Console and running the simplest repairs first (chkdsk /p on all drives) and gradually working toward more serious, like using listsvc to see what services and drivers are loading and disable any that are not necessary, like the previously installed video driver.

You might also try setting the BIOS defaults, and the BIOS setup defaults if there is such a setting in yours.

3. wahlroot

wahlroot Thread Starter

My daughter and I have the same computer. Win98SE works on my other partition, so I do not think it is video. Ran chkdsk, it found no problems. Used the Black Viper web site and turned off unecessary services. BIOS works on Win98Se and did on WinXP. This started sometime after I did the above. It works for a couple of weeks or so. It goes past the screen with the squares running across, then the screen goes black, it shuts down, then restarts. Tried booting with CD, recovery console, repair, and I get the same thing. Tried reloading ntoskrnl.exe, and it will not do it. Do not know if that could be the problem, but it was worth a try, even tho it did not work. I do not know what caused this, but I wonder if it was installing Windows updates. Maybe, maybe not.

4. wahlroot

wahlroot Thread Starter

I have heard that this problem can be caused by the hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe files. I have copied each in the windows\system 32 folder. If this happens again I will try to rename each back to what they were. I will startup with my WinXP MSDOS Startup Floppy disk. Type in: ren C:\Windows\system32 Copy of hal.dll hal.dll (Enter) Type in: ren C:\Windows\system32 Copy of ntoskrnl.exe ntoskrnl.exe (Enter) I do not remember where I got the MSDOS disk. Maybe someone else Knows where and will post here. Hope it will work. Will see. Thanks.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

You're not going to see anything on your drives from DOS if they are NTFS, so you won't be able to rename anything except from the Recovery Console. You may need to execute this command in the RC:

SET AllowAllPaths = True

(Note the space before and after the =.)

If your partitions are FAT32, you can get a good boot floppy here:

http://www.mirrors.org/archived_software/www.bootdisk.com/xpfiles/xpboot.exe

If you get the startup menu, try VGA mode. I'm still leaning toward video drivers.

I meant the drivers, not the graphics card itself. The 98 drivers can work fine and still not have the XP drivers working correctly.

6. wahlroot

wahlroot Thread Starter

This computer is a Compaq and they do not list a new driver. My daughters computer has been using XP for about 2 years now and she just now has the problem. We are both running FAT32. Yesterday my computer stalled at the login screen. The one with the squares running across the screen. I can not think of anything that could have happened when I shut it off for the night. This time I got into Safe Mode. I copied [Copy of ntoskrnl] to the desktop and changed the name by removing copy of. Moved it back into system32 folder, and confirmed file replace. Restarted, and it works. What next? Maybe someone should start a pool on what Microsoft will screw up next. Maybe not!

7. wahlroot

wahlroot Thread Starter

I had the problem again, and what I posted in #4 did not work. Kept at it and found something that did work. I had copied ntoskrnl.exe and hal.dll to a folder on my C: drive called krnl. "Just in case I might need them". Booted with my WinXP MSDOS Startup Disc. At the promp I typed.
    del C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe (Enter)
    copy C:\krnl\ntoskrnl.exe C:\windows\system32 (Enter)
    It told me it had made the copy. Then Ctrl, Alt, Delete to restart.
    It should also work with hal.dll All was fine after that. Hope this will help someone else.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Thanks for the followup.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!