1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WINXP Services

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vanmol, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vanmol

vanmol Thread Starter

Hi Guys---------Just disabled a bunch of services as per Black Viper using his "SAFE" recommendations. After booting up for the first time I was unable to access the Internet or EMail in OE. Any thoughts on what Service could be the culprit? Thanks

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Sorry, the Crystal Ball is fogged over ...

How about saying just what you disabled, to save waiting for it to clear ?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Vanmol:

I personally disagree with disabling any of the services because you never know when one or more of them will be needed.

Change the ones that you set to "Disable" to "Manual", then reboot.

After you reboot, go into the services list and see which ones have started, then change them to "Automatic".

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips (Also a XP user)

4. mobo

mobo

Do as frank said to set all to auto then reboot and this time read the services carefully when shutting them off.Consuder yourself lucky this time as you could have made the system unbooable.
    This is another good list of the services. What you can do is shut down what you wish to then log off and on instead of rebooting to keep on the safe side..

5. vanmol

vanmol Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. Next time I will be more selective and just change a couple of services at at time so that I have more control if something doesn't work just right. In addition, I will continue to use System Restore to save my butt.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!