1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP Shuts down automatically...

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Sn00ky, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sn00ky

Sn00ky Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I am having an issue with my OS.

I keep getting an error message saying that the "This shutdown was initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" is shutting down the computer, please save all work in progress.......System will shut down in xx seconds.

Message: Windows must now restart because the DCOM Server Process Launcher has terminated unexpectedly

Not sure what any of that means, first time I have seen it.

It keeps happening after online only minutes, then shuts down again and again...

Any ideas? Thanks everyone!!

eMachines T6212
    AMD 64 Athlon
    Windows XP Pro SP2

2. bboy_cero

bboy_cero Banned

DCOM Server Process Launcher is a process launching your processes nedeed for stay connected to the internet, if that process (like in your case) is terminated all of a sudden, then it's result is a critical system error what ussualy leads to windows shut down, because windows shuts down by it self to prevent any damage. My opinion is malware/spyware infection.

3. Sn00ky

Sn00ky Thread Starter

Any ideas how I may go about fixing it?
    Maybe re-install my windows?

4. bboy_cero

bboy_cero Banned

That's the last thing you want to do, believe me, here a TSG forums there is a rule that only memebers with Gold Shields next to their name can answer on threads where is anything about malware / spywares, so if it's really a malware / spyware, then I'm very sorry, I can't help any further. I will see if I can do anything what my authorization allows.

5. Sn00ky

Sn00ky Thread Starter

Ok, sorry about that, I should have read the rules a little closer.

At least I have an idea of what it may be, thank you!

Later guys!

6. new tech guy

new tech guy

what i would do is post an hjt log here and request in a thread report to be moved...

7. Sn00ky

Sn00ky Thread Starter

i don't under stand what that means new tech guy, i'm sorry

8. new tech guy

new tech guy

Ok sorry for being vauge, Download and install this:
    http://www.download.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html

After that, go ahead and run a scan and save a log file only. DO NOT fix ANYTHING just yet. You may do damage to your system if you make a change before having the log reviewed. Then come back here and post the log by simply copying and pasting its contents into the post here.

9. Sn00ky

Sn00ky Thread Starter

K, I will give that a try, however...
    I cannot boot into my OS without it shutting down automatically within a minute or two. Safe mode seems to be stable, will that work?
    OR, would I be better off running it from another version of windows that I may boot into? (I have an operatable version of windows installed on another partition)

Thanks guys!!

10. new tech guy

new tech guy

Im going to call in a security expert at this point, but you probably could use the operable partition to clean this one out by using an av scanner.

11. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Go to Start, Run type: shutdown -a. Click OK.

That should stop the shutdown and give you a chance to get a hijackthis log.

12. Sn00ky

Sn00ky Thread Starter

Ok, I'll give that a try, and see if I can get the log file for you fellows to look at.

Really appreciate the effort guys!

Thanks

13. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758321

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice