1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinXP SP3 keeps rebooting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fiveoaks, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fiveoaks

fiveoaks Thread Starter

I am running Windows XP (SP3) on an HP laptop and the only Windows XP installation CD that I have has Service Pack 2 on it. The computer was used when I got it, but worked quite well. I updated Mozilla Firefox and everything went south. Anytime I tried to boot the computer, I got the message that "hal.dll" was missing or corrupt. My reading suggested rebuilding the boot.ini file. After that, the computer tries to boot - the Window logo comes on and the bar scans across the screen for several minutes, I get the Blue Screen for about 1/4 second (much too quickly to read), and the computer reboots. Pressing F8 does not help, because all options end up with the same rebooting problem.

Using my WinXP CD, I can load up the Recovery Console, and get to the DOS prompt, but I'm not sure what to do beyond that point to fix the problem.

Since I have important stuff on the drive, I really don't want to reformat, reinstall XP SP2, the upgrade again.

Any suggestions???
    Thanks

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. Enter Windows XP Recovery Console.
    2. When you reach the command line prompt , type the following and then press Enter:
      expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32Using the expand command as shown above, d represents the drive letter assigned to the optical drive that your Windows XP CD is currently in. While this is most often d, your system could assign a different letter. Also, c:\windows represents the drive and folder that Windows XP is currently installed on. Again, this is most often the case but your system could be different.
    3. If you're prompted to overwrite the file, press Y.
    4. Take out the Windows XP CD, type exit and then press Enter to restart your PC.
      Assuming that a missing or corrupt hal.dll file was your only issue, Windows XP should now start normally.
    I DO NOT THINK IT WILL WORK NOW, but this is what you should have done, TRY it again from the Recovery Console it will not do any harm

3. fiveoaks

fiveoaks Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, but you were right. The computer is still down.

First, I booted the computer from the SP2 CD into the Recovery Console.
    I renamed the existing HAL.DLL file to something else instead of deleting it.
    I entered the command line you suggested and successfully extracted the HAL.DLL from the SP2 CD.
    Next, I tried to reboot the computer.
    After a few seconds of displaying the Windows Logo boot screen, the system froze and the scanning bar beneath the Windows logo simply stopped moving and nothing else would happen after that point.
    I rebooted to the Recovery console and replaced the SP2 version of the HAL.DLL file with the SP3 version and rebooted.
    The continual rebooting problem returned. Again, it works like this: After going through the startup menu (the one displayed by F8), the Windows Logo screen displays for about a minute, then the screen goes blank for about 30 seconds. After that, the Blue screen appears for about 1/4 second (too quickly to read - and the pause button doesn't help), the the computer reboots.
    If I try booting in the Safe Mode, I get the usual display of drivers, etc, but after listing atisgkaf.sys, nothing else seems to happen for about a minute, then it reboots.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Please try the below mentioned VGA mode.

Description of Safe Boot options

• Safe Mode (SAFEBOOT_OPTION=Minimal): This option uses a minimal set of device drivers and services to start Windows.
    • Safe Mode with Networking (SAFEBOOT_OPTION=Network): This option uses a minimal set of device drivers and services to start Windows together with the drivers that you must have to load networking.
    • Safe Mode with Command Prompt (SAFEBOOT_OPTION=Minimal(AlternateShell)): This option is the same as Safe mode, except that Cmd.exe starts instead of Windows Explorer.
    • Enable VGA Mode: This option starts Windows in 640 x 480 mode by using the current video driver (not Vga.sys). This mode is useful if the display is configured for a setting that the monitor cannot display

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!